Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mountain Sun, Finish, Oil Painting

I worked on the Magdalena Mountain painting again day before yesterday. I am using oil paint for a change. It is interesting how a slight touch can make such a difference, regardless of medium. I changed the top of the mountain to be more true and lightened up the background trees a little.


Here is the one I posted the other day.

Here is the corrected one, I think it is truer to color as I took the photo outside instead of on the easel with the light in the studio. I like the painting better now.

Another interesting image note. I usually check my paintings values and perspective by changing them to black and white and turning them upside down, etc., on the computer with the photos. I have Photoshop Elements now and this presents new questions. You can view black and white images with about 5 or 6 different options. Landscapes have two:

This is called vivid landscapes.



And this is called scenic landscapes.


So which one is truer in value? Hmm. If you go by the vivid landscapes my range of values is better than if you go by scenic landscapes. Which is really correct and does it matter?

One of the options is newspaper and the sky goes completely white using that option. Oh my.

9 comments:

Joanna said...

Nice changes. And, the colors do look much better. Outside photos are always better. :)

My word verification word today: stroses -- is that Saint Roses or Street Roses? :)

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you Joanna. My sign in word verification is jxmjmgb ... hmmm. You have a better one. :) Mine was changed to sinayok. Better

Unknown said...

Wow Jo! This painting is wonderful! I love that shoe sketch too. Very well done!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Sheila, Thank you so much. It is good to paint old home stuff, I guess. That includes the shoe, too. These sneakers are old as dirt. Ha.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: Just catching up a little with your blog, still slowed down but am going into cardiac rehabilatation tomorrow.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

It's interesting what a difference a photo in the sun makes, isn't it? I like this a lot, Jo. The shadows are great and lightening the trees looks really good!

Regina Calton Burchett said...

I had an interesting verification word, but when I included it in the comments, it crashed. uh-oh.

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you Regina, I liked the fix on the painting as well.

The word verifications get very interesting for sure.

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, hope you do well in rehab. My sister is going at the moment for her back, arthritis. Hang in there.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)