Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Apple Heaven, Part 2 - Stacked

I did it! I finished the apples yesterday. I will miss their sweet smell in my studio.

Stacked
Soft Pastel on board with Colourfix Primer, 8 x 16 inches


I had the idea of what I wanted to paint but it took a while to decide how to stack the apples. I was using tooth picks and Gene came up with the idea of a stiff wire through them. They still wouldn't stand on their own so I had to resort to tape. It was fun to paint.

Gene cut me a piece of Masonite. I prepared it by spraying the back with some latex spray paint. I put on a coat of gesso and then the Colourfix sanded medium in a burgundy color.

I started with a mottled under painting. I put a very small amount of red, yellow, green, purple and orange pastels in random patterns and spread that around with water and a paint brush. After it dried, I put on a light sketch and went to work. I put base colors on the apples and some color on the background. As the apples and background developed I decided to omit the shadows even though the shapes were so interesting and just leave the mottled background. I like the way it turned out.


When you look at the painting in black and white it probably lacks some value changes, but in color the bright colors substitute for the values.


This is my set up.

Guess I will go get those apples out of the studio and cook them up. I like cooked apples, too. Smell the cinnamon?

15 comments:

JohanneMorinFineArt said...

Original setup and great job on the apples!

Unknown said...

How cool are you!? I love the way you show how you set the apples up. You're a true artist to make something so beautiful from a very industrial setting.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Johanne! I didn't know you had a blog. You are being followed now! Thank you!

Jo Castillo said...

Sheila, thank you. It was fun to try.

Valerie Jones said...

This is neat! I love the background and the way you stacked the apples. Great idea!

Regina Calton Burchett said...

This is great, Jo - I love the colors so much! And the set-up is very original - really nicely done!

Jo Castillo said...

Valerie, thank you so much. I rarely get a novel idea. Ha.


Regina, thank you again. I'm not usually this venturesome as you know! Off in a new direction. Ha.

Unknown said...

Really love the original setup and the way you achieved it.
Great painting.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: I would have never guessed you set it upright. I thought you just laid it down and painted it like it was upright. I guess the shadows would have been different. Very nicely done, they are skeward for roasting over charcoal.
BTW: Did the photo arrive?

Jo Castillo said...

Sheona, thank you so much. :)

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, I thought of that first and then thought of the toothpicks, but Gene's idea worked great. If I had used a wooden block instead of the box, I wouldn't have needed the tape. :) The photo came this morning and I am working on a proper thank you message. :) It is gorgeous.

Joan said...

Jo - What a neat arrangement!!! Clever thinking! Great colors and contrasts in this!!!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Joan, Maybe all the thinking and odd sketches have inspired my painting! Thanks.

Susan Carlin said...

Great idea for your painting, Jo! Beautifully done. Can't wait to see it "in person!"

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you, Susan. One of these days we will get together again. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (973) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1794) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)