Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Exhibit, Tiendita de Chile, Chile Store Pastel Painting,

You are invited to:

Aritsts' Reception
Friday, November 9
5 :00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
The Walkers' Gallery San Marcos Activity Center
501 E Hopkins Rd, San Marcos, TX
(512) 393-8280

Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Friday: 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Sunday: Closed

You will be delighted with the number of paintings, variety of artists and techniques you will see in the show. The Austin Pastel Society was formed in 1998 with a membership of around 100 artists. The exhibit of pastel paintings by members of the Austin Pastel Society will be on exhibit from November 2, 2007, through January 4, 2008.

We delivered the paintings below to the Walkers' Gallery in the San Marcos Activity Center to be in the Austin Pastel Society Exhibit until January.


Tiendita de Chile
Soft Pastel Painting, 16 x 20 inches, on board with Colourfix primer
Framed in a dark wooden frame with a linen liner
Museum non reflective glass against the painting, no mat


Full of Hot Air
Soft Pastel, 12 x 12 inches on Pastelbord
Framed in a black gallery style frame against the glass, no mat


Stuffed
Soft Pastel on mounted Colourfix paper, 14 x 18 inches
Framed in a black metal frame


You see I finished the pastel painting of the Chile Store. This is an in-studio painting or traveling studio painting. I started it in Las Cruces and finished it here in Bastrop. It is difficult for me to have lag time in between the start and finish of a painting. As I am working on it there is a mood and intent toward the completion. If it sits without working on it, I lose interest or momentum. I just can't get back to the original feel. Many people work on a painting and leave it for a long time and then work on it again. I am not good at that. I can let it simmer for a short time to see if I am really done, and decide if it needs corrections, but leaving it for a couple of weeks like this painting just isn't my way to paint. I like to start and finish while I have the idea fresh in my mind. I like the result on this, but I think it would have been better without the two week lag time. The painting was created from a couple of photos of a chile stand in New Mexico. The woman in the photo is from a completely different set of photos.









4 comments:

Linda Blondheim said...

Jo,
I always enjoy reading your excellent blog.
Love,
Linda Blondheim
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

Jo Castillo said...

Linda, just got back from my plein air workshop with Bob Rohm. What a great time!

Thanks for stopping by.

Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo, Hope your exhibition goes well. All Looks good!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Walter for stopping by and the nice comments. You are busy with the end of your 1000 Sketches, too.

Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)