Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Watercolor Challenge

The Watercolor Challenge for May was put up by Scamall.  There are some great photos if you would like to paint them with us.  I picked what seemed to be the easiest for some watercolor practice.

https://creativespark.art/threads/may-2023-watermedia-challenge.5435/#post-91714


You can click on the image to see it a bit larger.

I tried a few different tactics.  I'm semi pleased with the overall painting.  I do need lots of practice putting in dark backgrounds.  The photo has a bee in the center but I chose to leave that out.  (Gene is allergic to bee stings.)  The flower was flatter and lavender. I did not sketch it in.   The shape is OK, just not like the photo.  You know I don't like waiting for paint to dry.  Practice, practice, practice.

Today we are off to get a new battery in my old iPhone.  I don't really use my phone for much more that a few calls and photos.  I can't see spending $700 or more for a new phone when this one does all I need.  It is just going to cost $70 at CPR in Bastrop.  We shall see if it works.  While we wait, we are also going to try a new to us restaurant in the same area called Costa Azul Mariscos & Micheladas.  https://www.mariscosbastrop.com/

Interesting afternoon ahead.


5 comments:

John (JWJarts) said...

I really like this Jo and I think the background works really well. I've been toying with the idea of joining an art forum and creativespark looks quite interesting. I'll have a better look at it later.

Jo Castillo said...

John, thanks so much. This is my homework, but I post it anyway. Ha. I am learning about the watery movement. Always interesting.

Creativespark is pretty good. Not too many artists so not as much interaction. Wetcanvas.com had about 35,000 artists at one time I think and there was always comments, new work, instruction, trading, etc. It was supposed to close or become a subscription so we moved the sketching group to creativespark.art Wetcanvas is still going after we moved over a year ago. Our group of Scavenger Hunters sticks together and some go in and out as they take time off to paint, take a break or travel. We've had the Hunts since 2006. A great group. You would be most welcome.

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice job on the blossom! The dark background works nicely.

Good idea to replace the battery instead of the phone if you don't use it that much. They are a necessity today since you can't find a pay phone anywhere.

bag blog said...

That is a great little watercolor. You did wonderful.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. I'm trying with the watercolor. Of course I never really practice consistently. Watercolor is always once in a while.

bag blog, thank you. You are an inspiration with watercolors. One of these days we will paint together again.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (360) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (41) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (210) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (6) Charity Events (75) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) coffee (1) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) crayon sketches (3) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (78) iPad Sketch (91) iPad sketches (112) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (27) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (306) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) memorial (1) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (413) pastel sketch (142) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (2) Photos (996) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1850) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (180) watercolors (22) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (3)