Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Green, Red, Numbers in Pastel

Some pastel fun for the Hunt.  Green, red and numbers were items on the list.  I love painting red in pastels.  That inspired me to play in the dust.  I wiped off the last sketch and worked on the recycled Pastelbord, 8 x 10 inches.

For Scavenger Hunt 70  https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-70-may-26-x-june-3.5509/

Number 5 green - the old bottle of Hatch Green Chile wine from Roger.
Number 6 red - the red salt shaker, I broke the pepper shaker.  Drat.
Number 7 something with numbers - clock that projects the time on the ceiling or wall

The setup:


Boy, I really need to clean up my studio.  I used the pile of pastels I had on the easel.  That is so wrong from every angle.  One thing it does is keep my work in the same palette.  That is good to have consistency in your work. 

If my studio was in order, I might ... might ... paint more.  That is one of the hints other painters give, to have your surface and paints ready to go.  That is a big reason I like pastels.  I can leave them ready.  I don't have to clean brushes, get out paint, keep it wet.  I can walk away and come back any time.  I can go back to this sketch any time and develop it into a finished painting.  If my easel had been ready to go with fresh sorted pastels, it might have only taken about 40 minutes.  As it was, I was at it for a little over an hour.


4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

The combination of the red and the green just makes this pop! It comes in handy if you can have your supplies ready to go and don't have to take the time to put them out...or worse, put them away. lol

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you so much. You are right, my whole studio needs to be "put away". Ha.

Debbie Nolan said...

Jo your pastel painting is so lovely. You are great with pastels. Wish you lived closer so I could take a few lessons from you. I like the way your colors vibrate. Sorry about your broken pepper shaker. Have a blessed week! Hugs

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, boy wouldn't that be fun to paint/sketch together. Lots of hints on my blog under instruction. A light touch so you can layer is important and something I often forget in my excitement to finish. Also working dark to light. I tend to want to put the highlights on before the item is done! Anyway, pastels are so forgiving, makes them fun.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)