Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, January 27, 2023

Our Town Sketch

The Scavenger Hunt had  "something seen in your city/town" on the list.  We went to town to look for some folders at Bastrop Copier.  I thought the court house would be good for the our town item.  It is a complicated building so I picked one corner and edited it down a lot.  Only sat there about 15 or 20 minutes.  Just long enough for Gene to fall asleep so I could wake him again.  Then forgot to take a photo.


Number 6 - something seen in your city/town - the County Courthouse.  The flags were at half staff.  I'm not sure why.  Another item on the list was lamp.  I could have claimed the street lamp, right?

For Scavenger Hunt from Life 54 

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-54-jan-18%E2%80%9326-2023.5063/

 

Paper products have more than doubled in price.  The copy store has always had so many items and you can buy one sheet of paper and one envelope.  That is so nice when you need a few pieces of colored paper.  I thought I would get some folders for the gift certificates for our show.  The only ones they had were 5 to a package for $23.  That is $4 for a paper folder.  I also needed 6 or 7  so ...... I did not buy them.  I would rather donate a piece of Pastelbord than donate the folders.  I have some large envelopes for the certificates.

I sketched the jail which is attached to the right side of my courthouse sketch above.  You see how complicated it is.


Jail....


We had an art show on the grounds a few years ago.  You can see the courthouse and jail in this photo.  Interesting but not a "pretty building" compared to all the famous courthouses in Texas.


7 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Jo - your sketches reminded me of our own county courthouse. The dome on ours is similar to yours. The jail is in behind and enclosed within the courthouse building. Love the shot of the art show you enjoyed a few years ago. Have a great weekend. Hugs!

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, thanks. The dome appears dark brown now. I think it must have been metal and they painted it or ???. We had fun with that show. There is an old iron bridge across the Colorado River and we held it there as Art on the Bridge, but they say the bridge is unsafe now. Lately the shows are at the fancy art center and not as much "fun" or hard work. Ha.

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice sketch of the courthouse. I noticed the other day that the flags here at half-mast too and wondered why. Of course by the time I got home I forgot to check why. But after reading your post I did look it up and this is what I found.

Fly the United States Flag at Half-Staff until Thursday, January 23, 2023 in Honor of the Victims of the Tragedy in Monterey Park, California.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks, I really edited the sketch. Complicated building.
I remembered to check on the flags as well. Thanks for the info.

bag blog said...

Great sketches! Texas does have some great courthouses. At some point many of them got torn down to build some sort of modern crappy courthouse. Wichita Falls is a perfect example. Now WF is going to tear down Wichita Falls High School, my old school, and build two new schools. Old High is a gorgeous, solid, old building. Rider and Hirshi Highs were built in the 60's and are ugly and falling apart. I hate to think that Wichita Falls High School, Coyotes, will be no more after generations of use and fame.

Jo Castillo said...

bag b log, thanks so much. Our Courthouse is a bit out of kilter, Nothing seems to match and they built an annex of "new" square modern looks. Weird, but part is very old, the jail! Sorry about your school. It seems there isn't much loyalty anymore. Follow the money.

Jo Castillo said...

R's Rue, thank you so much.Hope you are warm this week! Cold even here.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)