Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Hunting for Number 28

I sketched on Thursday out on the porch in the regular paper, 9 x 12 inch Canson sketchbook with a Micron 02 pen.  The prompt was "anything outdoors".  We have a  resident Scissor Tailed Fly Catcher sitting on our fence lately.  The bird likes to observe the open field and attack the dragonflies and other bugs.  It is tolerant of the Cardinals, maybe because they feed along the ground.  I wanted to sketch him with his tail open, but he flew off chasing some other bird away and didn't come back while I was sketching.  


Number 1, anything outdoors

Today I sketched here at my desk in the same book with the same pen. These are for Scavenger Hunt from Life Number 28. 

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-28-june-15-23.4109/Number 1, anything outdoors

Number 2, hand with Number 3 kitchen utensil
Number 4, hand second position

 

It's Fathers Day.  Hope all the fathers are doing well today.  We celebrated yesterday for Gene.  We had New Mexico style enchiladas and some flan for dessert.  Jennie and I cooked.  Jennie and Brandon came a little early for that and brought the grand-dogs.  Chewie and the new Reeses.  Reeses is so black you cannot see her face and tell which way she is going when she is on her bed.  Photos another time.  Larry came early and he helped Gene put new tires on his trike.  Joanna brought Gene's favorite chocolate chip cookies so it was a very good day.  

My father has been dead for 42 years.  Wow.  I couldn't believe that.  His  birthday was June 18.  I think this was the first time ever I didn't think of him on his day.  I remembered this morning.  It was always a bit unfair like others that are born on or near a holiday that we tend to combine the celebrations.  I have put many stories about him here on my blog.  You can put Dutch in the search box on the upper left and see them.  

He was one of the last of the hired hand cowboys that worked for room and board.  He loved horses and handled them so well.  One of the owners of a neighboring ranch had race horses.  He had one that was born with a problem with his legs so he was deciding what to do.  I'm not sure exactly what happened but my dad ended up with the colt.  My dad was sure he could correct the problem with careful horse shoeing.  My dad was an excellent farrier.  There was some sort of bet that went along with the purchase.  My dad won the bet!

The colt, named Albert H, after the previous owner grew into a fine horse.  He was a beautiful sorrel with four white feet.  My dad started training race horses for a while and ran Albert H in the 440 yard quarter horse races.  This race was in Ruidoso, New Mexico.  Albert H holds the record at the old track in Hot Springs, New Mexico, (now Truth or Consequences with no track).  He ran in 18 seconds and some, I don't recall the tenths of seconds at the moment.

 

When I was about 4, my Mom and I accompanied my dad to Ruidoso.  I don't think it is allowed to bet on your own horse, but my dad gave my mom some money and told her to bet it all on the sorrel son of a b_ _ _ _ _ _  nose.  My dad was giving me a silver dollar every time they had a payday.   I had some of the silver dollars in a tobacco sack that I carried around.  When we got to the betting window and my mom was placing the bet I tugged on her and handed my tobacco sack to her and said, "Bet it all on the sorrel son of a b_ _ _ _ _ _  nose!"  She was embarrassed to say the least.  I wonder if she bet it for me?  

I did end up with enough money to buy me a cocker spaniel puppy.  A restaurant where we ate had puppies and I got to get one with my "winnings".  Jolie Blonde was a popular song at that time and I named the puppy Jodie Blonde (I thought it was Jodie not Jolie) and called him Blondie.  And the song:

https://youtu.be/WQhXXbjC4oM

I will continue the race horse stories in another post.  Stay tuned.



4 comments:

Joanna said...

Ha ha ha. I don't remember hearing this betting story or the story about the puppy before. Thanks.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joanna. That was a neat dog. More stories to follow.

Joan Tavolott said...

Great story!!! It is great to have memories like that to make you smile and remember your dad. I like the song...remind me of New Orleans.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, stories keep the memories going. Cajun music is fun and great food!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)