Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Under the Weather Tree

I've been under the weather for a few days.  Ill, not hungover.  Although I felt a bit hungover.  I had a really bad sore throat.  Yesterday, I finally broke down and called the doctor.  I had a teleconference.  I had to go get my throat swabbed to check for strep and COVID.  I was pretty sure I had neither as I've had my vaccine and I didn't see any white in my throat.  We had to wait outside (by the dumpsters) for the nurse to come out.  Took forever...and ever.  Gene listened to a podcast and slept.  I sketched.  It seems the throat was mainly allergy problems.  I am much better today.  Crazy.

It is very pretty past the dumpster. I found a couple of things there that fit the Hunt.  I sketched quickly as we were told they would be "right out".  I could have taken much more time as it turned out.



For Scavenger Hunt 676  https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/scavenger-hunt-676-april-24-may-2/

Number 1, tree - in front of us.  I liked the crooked tree.  The sparse hedge hasn't recovered from the freeze and snow I guess.  And there was a nice reflection in the window.  Then to the right was Number 2, metal - the fence and Number 3, underneath - a bit of the big pond with some waterlilies.  Those don't show well in my tiny sketch (the two pages are 5 x 8 inches).  I've sketched the pond in the back of the clinic and didn't realize it came all the way around the side of the large building.

 

***  **  ***  **  ***  **   ***

The awards and prizes were announced for the Austin Pastel Spring Online Show.  You can see the results here and review the paintings again.  https://www.austinpastelsociety-exhibitions.org
The winners are at the top of the pages for Established and Emerging artists. 

 


Congratulations to the winners.  Some of my favorites were included with the winners.  I like Jan Weaver's Hollyhocks a lot, not surprised are you?   And Enid's landscape is beautiful.  My People's Choice pick was Texas Baroque by Nancy Lilly. I do like bluebonnets and cacti.  I also like her rich color choices like in her Honorable Mention for Serene Traveler.   I was happy to see Alan Ehrlich get the Peoples Choice Award.

In the Emerging Artists, I really like Unexpected Beauty by Kathy Lux.

I hope you enjoyed the show and will check in with the Austin Pastel Society once in a while.  You could even join the group!

 

Another online show you might enjoy is the Northwest Watercolor Society.  They had 422 entries, juried down to 70 or so.  There are some amazing watercolors there.  You can read about it in this American Watercolor post and follow their link to the paintings or just click on the second link

https://americanwatercolor.net/no-ticket-required/

 https://www.nwws.org/Exhibitions/Waterworks-Members-Exhibition


4 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Glad you are feeling better!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Rose, I feel guilty complaining when there are so many bigger problems, just wanted to explain the sketch. Anyway, I am doing well. Thanks.

Jennifer Rose said...

at least you know it wasnt covid and you can still get it even after being vaccinated so its worth ruling it out

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thanks so much for stopping in. I think the chances of me getting covid are next to none. Never have worried about that.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)