Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Behind Sketches

No, this is not X-rated.  By behind I mean that I forgot to post a sketch the other day.  The Southwest-Western forum on wetcanvas has a monthly challenge as you may recall, where we sketch/paint from one of the other artists selection of photos.  I challenged myself to sketch a sheep from a photo of 3 sheep together.  I have tried sheep before but they don't have very defined facial features.  They are very similar at least in each breed.  Maybe if I had been around sheep more I would have a better feel for them.

I started out with a Micron 02 fine line marker pen, then added some chisel end Prismacolor for the dark in the ears and to the side of his head.  I was not happy with that so added some colored ink from the Micron 005 group and then colored pencil.  It sort of looks like a sheep now and it is in the big coffee table book so is permanent.  You can click to see larger.

We have a new Hunt, Scavenger Hunt #669: Feb 27 – Mar7.   Interesting items and a chance to associate to draw something different.  Joe put up the list.  He says, "Challenge do not draw the first thing you think of but associate it a few times. Post the association as well as drawing. Example Smooth ..slick..slipper..fall..banana peel. Draw a banana peel and tell us that association."  He also put this for one of the items:  3 sided (Jo does not like triangular)  

They know me too well.

I did not associate, I just drew a couple of the items.  

Number 1, round - this is a suggestion of one of the wheels on Gene's walker.  It is actually round.  Not this weird shape. Done with a Micron 02 fine line marker/pen, permanent ink.



Number 2, older than self - We don't have many things older than us in this house, so Gene is older than me.  He said, "I do not remember having such beady eyes. (Beady-eyed- - Adjective marked by or having small, glittering eyes, especially eyes that seem to gleam with malice, avarice, or lechery. staring with suspicion, skepticism: The gambler gave the newcomer a beady-eyed look.)" 
 

Done with a regular #2 pencil I use to keep score of the baseball games and do crossword puzzles.  You can click to see larger.

We are about back to normal here after the big freeze.  Gene flushed the hot water heater today.  The grocery store has full shelves again.  The restaurants seem to be back in business.  We have phone and internet with our usual "not so good service".   I signed up for Starlink if they ever get it in our area.  We will probably have to put the antenna right on top of the roof as it says there can't be any trees or poles in the line of sight.  We shall see.

The baseball team, Texas Longhorns from the University of Texas played their first week.  They started in the indoor stadium of the Texas Rangers in Arlington and lost all three games against Mississippi, Mississippi State and Arkansas.  They came back here and played the BYU Cougars and won 3 of the 4 games.  It was a long week for both teams.  We did not get season tickets so will be watching on the Longhorn Network.  If you get ESPN you can ask for the Longhorn Network free with your sports package.  I'm always amazed that my free network requires a paid sports package .... sigh.





6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I don't think I am going to discuss Gene's beady eyes. He might give me The Look. As for drawing sheep, well, you are a cowgirl, not a sheep herder. I saved a photo from a friend who raises some sort of odd sheep. They have big horns - like big horn sheep, which seem more like goats to me. But her photo was really nice and I might try to paint it.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, you may be right about Gene. Ha. You are probably right about the sheep, too. Heh, heh.

Debbie Nolan said...

Jo your sheep looks great. Like how you used ink and coloured pencils also. Hope you have a super week. Hugs!

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, hi and thanks a bunch.

hmuxo said...

I LOVE your sheep Jo! A few years ago I painted a few sheep on a farm... believe it or not it sold very quickly... people love sheep. ... the reference came from a photo I took in Delaware. Anyway, yours is truly good!!!!! I hope you’re well... enjoy the rest of the week!!!!

Jo Castillo said...

Hmuxo, thanks. There aren’t many sheep in our area. Goats seem to have more personality. Maybe I’ll find a goat herd. :-) you take care, too.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)