Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, May 29, 2020

Keepsakes Pastel Sketch

Color called to me today.  I felt compelled to do a pastel sketch.  I wiped off a Pastelbord that had a roadrunner on it.  I left the background for the most part.  The light was from the opposite side so I turned it upside down.

Scavenger Hunt 634 had keg and miniature on the list.  I hunted and found this mug that looks like a keg, more or less.  It is big, holds a couple of cups.  The little blue pots are from Chile and the unpainted one is from Bolivia or Peru.  I really like the little blue ones.  There were three but we didn't find the third in the ashes. (You can search above left Bastrop Fire if you haven't heard about the fire before.)

Keepsakes
Pastel on Pastelbord
9 x 12 inches

Number 3, keg
Number 4, miniature
Wet canvas has gone to Word Press so a new learning curve for us artists.  See what you think.

Pastels give me the feeling of painting and drawing.  To draw with the edges of a pastel stick is much like my regular sketching.  Then turn the pastel on it's side and make big strokes and paint away.  I like the tactile part of getting my hands in the pastel dust. 

I never wore gloves until this last year.  I always used liquid gloves, lotion, to protect my hands but they would still get dry and pastel under the fingernails.  Washed my hands often.  I started using vinyl gloves you get in the pharmacy.  They fit well and do not interfere with the feel of the pastels.  I wipe them off like my hands and use them several times.  My hands perspire some but for some reason I don't feel that until I take them off.  Much easier on my hands and I'm sure I absorb less of the minerals in pastels.  Pastels are much safer as are oil paints than the "old days".  They were made with cobalt and cadmium in the past.

I worked on this for about an hour so I'm classifying it as a sketch and not a finished painting.  It will be on my website for sale.

You will have to check back again to see what's next. ¡Hasta luego!



8 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I love how the blue pots give this a pop of such intense color. Nicely done!!!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you so much. Hope all is going smoothly with you two.

Joanna said...

I love this so-called sketch. Looks like a full-blown painting to me. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, :-) It was definitely a sketch but I liked the results. Thanks.

Bag Blog said...

I thought I commented here, but maybe not. I bought those little finger things and used them at the last paint out. They work well and my hands don't get too hot. But most of the time, I forget to put them on.

Jo Castillo said...

I'm not fond of the finger covers. I can't feel what I'm doing. I like the gloves and like I said I don't notice my hands being warm until I take them off and they are damp inside. Go figure....

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Jo, thanks so much for visiting my blog!
Your drawings are beautiful.

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, Your comment just showed up today! Wonder why I didn't get notice? Hmm. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and checking my homework. See ya.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1797) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)