Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Happy Patty's Day with Sketches and Book Reviews

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We went to town early to pick up a few groceries, bananas and such.  Very light traffic, but a long line at H-E-B.  (I think they were limiting entrance and making one way lines, but not sure.  Probably went fast.) We went to Walmart instead.  Gene was in and out in a few minutes.  Some of the stores are having the first hour for old folks, maybe that was it as well.

Anyway, I sketched in the car on my iPhone using the Brushes app and my fingers.


Number 4, a road gutter grate - substituted the cross walk with lines


Number 5, lamp post - the lights were on because it was cloudy.  I should have made the sky darker, but is hard to do after the fact, at least to do it quickly.

Gene had to wait a couple of minutes for me to finish so I didn't tidy up the sketches too much.

Maybe I will use my extra time today in a more productive manner.  Really frittered away the extra baseball time.  Everything in sports at The University of Texas is cancelled until fall.  Hard on the athletes.
**  ***  **  ***  **

One of the good things about all this is maybe it will cut down on the flu as well.  That always gets a bunch of folks.

We read/listened to on Audible Martha McCallum's book, Unknown Valor.  It is amazing and read by Martha.  She researched this with a team for several years and traveled to Iwo Jima with veterans for the annual ceremony which is also attended by Japanese.  She found a couple of her uncle's buddies and interviewed them.  Hard to listen to the horror and loss of lives in the Pacific in World War II.  The parts about her family and other friends is heart warming and read with a smile in her voice when she remembers her uncle.  She includes conversation from the letters home and memories of the families.  I highly recommend it and wish our youngsters would read and understand more of what our country is all about.  The pride, dedication and responsibility accepted by the 18 year olds and younger that lied about their age to get into the battle is told with humility and love.  Thanks to Martha McCallum for this wonderful true story.

On a very different note about death and corpses we just started listening to Stiff by Mary Roach.  It is about corpses that are dedicated to science and how much they have helped advances in medicine.  We have heard the prologue about why she wrote the book and just got into the first chapter.  So far is is a "fun" read about people finding out about what her book is about and unexpected reactions.  The book was recommended by Gene's cancer doctor when we told him we wanted to donate our bodies to science.  I will let you know how it goes.

I just posted my post from a few days ago so you may want to go back a post to see that one.

6 comments:

hmuxo said...

You're right, Jo. This nightmare might cut down on the flu...lol Lets hope, especially since I didn't get the Flu shot this year. I always got it when my Dad was alive since I didn't want to get him sick. Now its my turn so I think I'll get it from now on....lol
Wonderful sketches, my friend!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, hmuxo. Gene can't get a flu shot because of his medication. We both used to get them for his mom. I didn't get one last year or this year. Not a good idea. It would help protect him, too. My real problem is I never think of us as old. Gene just called a neighbor to see if we could go shopping for them. I think we are older at 77 and 78. Sigh...

Joan Tavolott said...

I like the sketch of the shopper coming out of the store. I went out to Trader Joe's today and they were limiting the number of people inside so I stood on line for a few minutes, but got lots of things I needed. Our supermarket down the street is allowing seniors to shop early in the morning (6:30-8:00) but I think I'd rather stay in bed. lol

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks so much. We are definitely learning new ways to get essentials. Some of the stores are letting old folks in earlier here, too. The big grocery is opening 8 to 8 now instead of 6 to midnight.

Bag Blog said...

Toby and I listen to mysteries together. Sometimes we listen to Lee Child's Jack Reacher stories - always makes me what to kick butt. Don't let Gene listen to these :) We also listen to David Baldacci and Daniel Silva.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, we listen in the car. I have to be careful if I'm driving can't listen to a real intense book, I lose track of driving, just like talking on the phone. I play music when alone.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)