Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Crimson Rocks Pastel Experiment

The object of this painting was to try something new and different.  That is one of the ideas to break out of a painting slump.  I ordered some Daler-Rowney acrylic inks https://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/  in bright colors.  Then off to try something new.



I was painting for the SW Painting Challenge on wet canvas.  I am hosting for February and chose some red bluffs to paint.  I chose a white Pastelbord and started to put on the inks.


I didn't intend on mixing the colors but as they ran across the Pastelbord they were too thick.  I spread them with a paint brush and left them to run a bit more.  For using the ink this way, I should not have left any thick ink.  Where it puddled and dried the ink filled the tooth on the board.  Pastel would not stick to those spots.  When you spread the ink you lose the bright colors.  I will have to check into this and perhaps try again.



Crimson Rocks
Pastel on Pastelbord, 10 x 8 inches

The underpainting shows through, which I like.  But I would like the pastel to adhere better.  It will lose pastel when it is bumped.   It should be framed right away or lay flat for storage.

I will put this on my website under Odds, Ends and Studies.
https://www.jocastilloart.com/collections/137349


8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

might not have worked the way you wanted but it created some really nice textures :)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you so much. It was good to try something new.

Rose Welty said...

I use those inks all the time! But, you are right. Where the ink is thick, you get a traditional slick acrylic finish, which wouldn’t be so great for the pastels. Glad you are trying new stuff....I find that helps me when I’m stuck.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Rose, The colors of the inks are so vibrant. I need to try them different ways. Watercolor under painting definitely works better for pastels. It is always good to get something done. Happy to see you here. Hugs.

Gene said...

You did not put a price on the painting, Why?

Me.

Jo Castillo said...

Gene, I put the price on my website. $90 since it is an experiment and sent as is.

Bag Blog said...

That's an interesting technique - something I haven't tried yet.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, it is neat, the colors were so vibrant before I spread them together. Just be careful not to fill the tooth.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1800) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)