Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Plein Air Paint Out Trio Day 3

Home in Bastrop for Day 3 of the Outdoor Painters Paint Out.  It was a gorgeous day for painting and visiting.

I went to the Crossing where the old buildings and cars are.  Also Neighbor's Kitchen and the Tough Cookie Bakery are there.  I decided to paint some flowers that were in the bed of an old pickup.  I talked with visitors and a few of the artists that were searching for painting spots.

 Casey's Flowers
Pastel on Pastelbord, 10 x 8 inches
I'm pretty happy with this, only about an hour invested in it.  I din't capture the light as it really was so I think I will revisit this and adjust.  I rarely do that, but I like this start.

I then went to Maxine's on Main for a lunch break.  After that I decided to go paint Bastrop's Marilyn Monroe.  She is a statue chained in front of the Hairport across from the Art Center.  They also have a vape shop there and it looks like she is smoking.  I will need to investigate that!  Again, I only painted for about an hour and did not put in the street light and chain holding Marilyn in place.  Pomona and I went to sketch her last fall and she wasn't there.  I went in and asked and they said she was having a "makeover".   (Note, went by there today and her hand is holding her hair, not smoking, so my sketch is off.  Surprise!)

Bastrop's MM
Pastel on Pastelbord, 8 x 10 inches

Marilyn was mostly just for fun.  If I had more time I would include more of the scene to give some context.  Next time!!

We all got together for a show and tell of sorts at the Lost Pines Art Center.  We had a nice reception, thanks to Joan and Kent Bohls and the Art Center.  Next was dinner, off to Neighbor's Kitchen.  There was a 2 hour wait so we settled for the Tough Cookie Bakery.  We enjoyed the camaraderie and fresh food.

 Joanna took the photo of me. 





I didn't take any of the artists...shame.  I did get some of the paintings.  All fun and great.  
 
I'm getting closer to being ready for New Mexico in July.



5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

flowers look great :)

lots of variation in art styles, everyone did a great job

Bag Blog said...

Looks like great practice for the Wild Rivers paint out. I dreamed that I had waited till the last day of the paint out and had no time to frame. Anxiety?

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you so much. It was a good day and my first excursion with the OPS (Outdoor Painters Society)

Bag Blog, I'm hoping it helps for New Mexico. I will need to keep painting, though, my mind sure wasn't ready last summer! Yes, there is anxiety, too. :-)

Joan Tavolott said...

Love seeing the pieces you did for the paint out. Had to laugh at Marilyn smoking and being gone for a makeover. I could use one of those. Nice work by you and the other artists!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, it was a good paint out, I was exhausted but did get 2 painting a day done. Hope I can keep up the practice for New Mexico. Maybe you saw Marilyn wasn't smoking and was touching her hair. It sure looked like it from across the street! She is fun to see, I will get a photo.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)