Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Plein Air Paint Out Trio Day 1

As I mentioned previously, some of the Outdoor Painters Society https://www.outdoorpainterssociety.com/
got together for a paint out trio.  We painted in La Grange, Texas, on Thursday, Smithville, Texas, on Friday and in Bastrop, Texas, on Saturday.  It was great fun.  It is always a bit tiring with being out in the sun and weather.  We had quite a bit of wind on Thursday and Friday.  Saturday was much better.  La Grange is about 40 miles from our house.  Smithville is about halfway there.

Over 20 artists signed up to come.  There were more on Thursday than the other two days.  I think the Easter weekend had much to do with that.  There were seven or eight artists at the closing reception in Bastrop at the Lost Pines Art Center on Saturday.  We went to dinner after the reception for a little artist to artist time.  Artists came from Dallas, east Texas, Louisiana and our area.

We got together on Thursday morning at the Court House in La Grange.  I decided to paint the Texas flag on the Court House.  The top is very ornate and several different rock or brick styles.  I really simplified it and painted for about 2 hours.




I painted on Pastelbord, 8 x 10 inches, each painting.  The painting on the left was done at Monument Hill overlooking La Grange.  It was so windy that I had to hold my board and easel with my left hand and put down the color with my right when we painted on top of the hill.  I only painted about an hour or so on that one.  The tree looks like it is blowing left, but it is growing that way. 

I put my easel away and got out of the wind on a trail down to the house where the Park was started.  I sketched in a chair for another hour or so.

This is in the watercolor sketchbook with smooth watercolor paper.  I used my new watercolor markers.  I was disappointed that they don't blend well on that paper.  It was interesting to try.  The old house is the Kriesche house.  The property had a brewery to start with.  It is now a very interesting State Park with hiking trails and the buildings.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/monument-hill-kreische-brewery  

At 5:00 p.m. we gathered at Art Connections Gallery.  http://www.artconnectionsgallery.com/    Deborah Johnson hosted a reception for all the artists.  It was very nice and quite a few of the artists were there.  We ate dinner at the Bistro 108 after the reception. https://www.bistro108.com/  They have excellent food.

 Joan painting in oils across the street from me.

 Lynn and Sandy painting in oils in front of the Bistro.

 Polly's painting of the old jail in watercolors.  She was across from Lynn and Sandy.

It was a great day.  I met lots of artists which was fun.  My painting is feeling more comfortable again.  When you don't paint for a while you need to re-learn or remember how to proceed.  Painting is hard on your brain and body.  I was tired at the end of the day.






4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Hmm, watercolor pens. I have cheap ones, but I have only used them like markers. I wondered about better pens. I like the simple pens that hold water to use with my Koi watercolors.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I tried the water color markers on the rough watercolor paper and they worked better. Blending was possible! Will be good for sketching if I use the cold press watercolor paper instead of the smooth. My pens are all alcohol based I think and don't blend well at all. I have been using the Koi and Winsor Newton little kits with the water brushes, too.

Joan Tavolott said...

Painting is hard on your brain and the weather is hard on your body. Glad you did this!!! Looks like fun and it is always fun to meet the other artists too.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks, you know only too well. You had many wet days in Venice. Don't know how you get out every day! Applause for all the painting and sketching you do.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)