Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Unique Sketching

When you sketch, every one is unique.  Even if you try to do the same sketch again, there will always be a bit of variation.  I used to do Christmas cards drawing the same image over and over.  I would make a pencil outline and go from there in ink.  One year I did a llama by a little church with the Andes in the background.  Each llama had a different look.  The next year I discovered a printer in Bolivia that printed with a block of wood with the sketch in metal and printed one at a time.  The ink was raised on the cards so looked hand drawn.  Pretty neat.  I never found a place in the States to do that.  If I had, I bet it would have been very expensive.

These drawings came to mind when I was looking at the items on Scavenger Hunt 580.  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463237
One of the items was "unique".

I sketched at the Austin Radiology Lab in Austin while waiting for Gene to get his bones scanned.  He went into get an injection and I started on a brass lamp I thought was pretty unique.  I didn't get it finished and went back to the main waiting room and was going to finish from memory.  I looked up and there were three more of the lamps in the big waiting room.  So much for unique.   I used a Micron 01 for the drawing and some Pitt brush pens for the color.  I didn't have yellow for the highlights and decided not to add that here at home.  

 Number 9, unique - brass lamp

Number 10, your favorite??? - There was a fish tank in the large waiting room.  When "fish" is on our list for sketching I never have any, so took this opportunity to call this my favorite to sketch.  On my iPhone with my fingers and the app Brushes.

When I cut a bluebonnet for my flower sketch three or four days ago I put it in one of the little red glasses I have.  It was on the coffee table.  I decided to look at it a bit closer this morning, thinking I would have to throw it out.  Instead, it is getting new leaves and has a bud on it.  I never knew it would live in water.  Hmmm.

The bluebonnet looks good.



4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Love the story about the "unique" lamp. lol Great fish tank. Lots of interesting items in that waiting room.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, it was a unique waiting room. :-) They even have a helper on the floor to assist in filling in forms or get a wheelchair, walking you where you need to go. It was different. Thanks.

Jennifer Rose said...

good idea to have a fish tank in a waiting room, gives you something to look at and draw in this case :)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you. It is a beautiful aquarium. It is about 3 x 5 feet build in across the corner of the room. I couldn't see how they get into it to clean, etc. Interesting.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)