Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Part 4 Wild Rivers Paint Out

Our fourth day of the paint out was free time, a printmaking demo and time to turn in our paintings for the show.  I decided to forego the demo and Gene framed my paintings while I touched them up and painted for the gift exchange.  Some artists brought paintings from home for that.  I had none since I haven't been painting.

We barely finished in time and were so rushed I failed to take photos until they were in the frames.  Very unusual as that is always in my timetable/list of things to do.

We did make it and went to dinner with Joan, Kent and Lou.  I was happy to get back fairly early.




 A few photos of the back and forth route.  The sheep were at the Wild Rivers site.  Not sure if they are native.

Then on Saturday the Quick Draw.  Check in and get your canvas stamped at 9:00 a.m., go to your selected scene and paint.  Then  be back at the start with the framed painting on your easel at 12:00 noon.  The idea was to have folks see you painting and buy your art off the easel.  I think a few were sold.  It will become more popular with the public I am sure.  Red River has a big tourist and summer crowd.  Many more folks than here in Angel Fire.

I was so tired, I got my Pastelbord stamped and went with Lou to her place to paint.  She was painting a/an historic house in pastels.  Lou's pastel came out great.  No photos of course.  I got under a tree and painted in the opposite direction.  I liked an old pickup, but could not get the idea to my board.  I wiped it off and started on the old church behind it.  Wiped it off and decided I better get something ... anything down.  I painted some aspen trunks and a wall.  I felt obligated to put something on the easel, I had committed, right? 

We made it back in time.  After that I was still tired so Gene and I ate lunch and came back to Angel Fire.  They had the awards ceremony and reception in the evening at the Brass Rail where the show was hung.  I just couldn't make it.  Lou said it was very nice.

Sunday we had lunch provided by the organization.  It was very nice and we drew numbers to share paintings.  I won Jesse's painting. How nice is that?  She doesn't paint all the time so I'm very honored to have one of her originals.

 Wild Rivers entry.  Pastel on Pastelbord, 14 x 11 inches.  You can see my reflection in the plexiglass.

 Landscape entry, Creek at Fawn Lakes, 11 x 14 inches, Pastel on Pastelbord.  Lots of glare.

Architecture entry, Little Red Schoolhouse, 10 x 8 inches on Pastelbord.  Sold.  More glare.

For Painting exchange, New Mexico High Country, 10 x 8 inches, pastel on Pastelbord, framed in black plein air frame.  This is a view out from the house we are in.

All in all the Wild Rivers Plein Air Paint Out https://www.wildriverspleinair.com/  was a super experience.  I thought I was ready but was not in shape for the altitude, sun and long hours.  I appreciate Joan for encouraging me, well, twisting my arm, to attend.  I was so happy that Lou and Jesse came.  Plein air painting is a big movement at the moment.  There were artists from all over the country.  Some of the artists do this sort of thing all the time and you can really tell. 

Be sure and visit the site and view the winners and photos.  Check out the sponsors and support them, too.

Painting outside from life is so helpful to your studio work.  You learn to see more colors in the shadows and how to edit out unnecessary objects.  You learn to look and paint, quickly.  The light changes so quickly.  Get the light down first then try to paint that image that impressed you to pick it.   You do have to be prepared for sun, animal visitors, bugs, etc.  Luckily in northern New Mexico at altitude there are not many mosquitoes or flies unless you are at a picnic area.

I'm still catching up for my next painting excursion.  Surely that will come soon.

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

The paint out was great, but very wearing. I have not done a pastel since getting home, but I have done watercolor. I need to get my pastels out and set up so that I have no excuses. Procrastination is the name of the game.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog you are so right. I left everything on the floor downstairs. I got out the easel and the basic boxes for two sketches and my art "storage" on the floor is full and not sorted. Procrastination for sure. Maybe today.........

Joan Tavolott said...

I just read through all your posts from the paintout. Good for you that you participated and did so many nice pieces. Those paintouts are exhausting normally so I can't imagine doing one at that elevation. I am participating in one here soon. The problem with doing it here is there is no new inspiration. I've sketched and painted these locations far too many times...maybe that means I should approach them differently. lol

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, you are so right. Sketching in the same place or same items becomes routine and you can't see anything new. Maybe a different medium?? One thing if you sketch a business or house, they sometimes want it.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)