Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, July 30, 2018

Part 2 Wild Rivers Paint Out

Day 2 adventure of the Wild Rivers Pain Out started at 7:00 a.m. again.  Joan had prior commitments so I drove myself to Red River and picked up Lou at her cousin's.  Jesse had gone ahead in their car.  We went to Questa to paint at St. Anthony's Church.  The small community of Questa renovated the church after it was condemned by the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.  https://www.abqjournal.com/368293/labor-of-love-volunteers-have-been-restoring-st-anthonys-church-in-questa-for-three-years.html  You can google or go on facebook for more photos.  It is just beautiful and a wonderful work of art.

I was hiding from the sun and did not take photos of the church, can't believe it, can you?  So I'm swiping one from Lou.  Lou's St. Anthony's church, copyright to Lou.  Thanks, Bag Blog.  She hasn't posted her painting yet, when she does I'll let you know, it is fabulous.


I could not stand and paint in the sun again and couldn't find a good place to get in the shade of the car so went for shade and an old house across the street.  I was pleased with the painting except the foreground.  I wanted the dried bushes and could not get them in to save my life.


Photo and my painting of the Questa House.





After a snack, we went to a demo by Bonnie Griffith in Questa at their Youth Center.  Bonnie demonstrated the use of cold wax along with oil paint.  Very interesting.  The wax was in a jar and has the texture of Crisco.  She mixed it half and half and rolled it with a brayer, used a palette knife and other scrapers.  It dries quickly so she could add layers over it without waiting too long.  She sprinkled Pan Pastels over part of it.  When dry she coats it with wax and then buffs with nylon panty hose, a much better use of panty hose than wearing them, right?  When she uses the wax in plein air, she mixes it about half and half with oils and paints with a painting knife.  Bonnie said their are YouTube videos to explain further and with more ideas.

Back to Red River and a stop at Red River Brewing Company https://redriverbrewing.com/  for drinks and conversation.  Lou knows so many folks in Red River (including owners of the Brewing Company) that we end up meeting and visiting with locals and fun people.  I even drank a beer, which is not normal for me.

This was not that day, but a later visit.

Every day as I got more tired I took fewer photos.  You know me anyway, get busy and forget I have a camera.

Drove back home and Gene and I dined on left over Gumbo.

More to come.....






No comments:


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1800) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)