Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Bastrop Sketchers at Fisherman's Park, Version 2

The Bastrop Sketchers meet on the first and third Wednesday of the month.  We try to meet at 10:00 a.m., sketch until 12:00 noon and then have lunch and a critique/have a look time.  It is good to get out with other artists.  One can learn about different techniques and equipment.

We were getting together at Fisherman's Park in Bastrop.  I picked the spot this time and was hoping for some new members so picked an easy to get to location.  Turns out a couple of the regulars were traveling and so I was the group!  Pomona came late and didn't see me.  How I missed her yellow VW Bug is beyond me!  I truly was watching and sketching.  She sketched at the Art Center and I stayed at the park.  Sigh.....

I was in a rented pickup.  We had loaned out one of our vehicles and the other was in the shop.  The rental place asked Gene if we minded using a big pickup as they had calls for the small cars.  It was the same price.  Crazy day.


I started with some gesture sketches of the geese and kids and parents.  There were some noisy grackles around, too.  Pesky dirty birds but beautiful shimmery black color like holograms.  I ignored them as much as possible.

I thought someone might show up and I would change locations so stuck with the simple.

I finally did a sketch of the river.  These are in my new Canson Mix Media sketchbook, 7 x 10 inch pages, with the Prismacolor 01.  Nice because the paper takes a bit of watercolor.  I was going to add some color, but......

There was a surprise.  A gentleman arrived with a black case which I thought might be a keyboard.  Turns out it was bagpipes.  Who would think I would have a bagpipe seranade at the park?  I had to set up my chair to get close so he gave me his permission to sketch.  I did this quick sketch as it was about 11:00  and I decided to get back home for lunch. 

 There were some cute little girls on their bikes with butterfly or fairy wings on checking him out, but too fast for me.

It was a good day, but I was sorry to miss Pomona.  We will go out again to make up for it.  She likes to get out and about and we enjoy the visits.  She teaches watercolor in Austin at Laguna Gloria (can't think of the new name) so sometimes difficult to get together.  We will do it though.

I just noticed that "musical instrument" is on the list for Scavenger Hunt 535
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444787
So the bagpipes will be Number 1 on my list.  Nice, I didn't think anything fit.

We might go to Smithville to the Front Room for Sushi Night.  Maybe I will find a "Half glass of .." from the list there.





2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

The park looks nice and green. The weather here in OK is warming a bit and trees are blooming, but the wind has been howling. Hopefully I can get out and get pics of the redbuds blooming. I love their pinks and reds. One of these days I will start sketch club, too.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, yep it was a perfect day. Today was windy but not too hot. I love redbuds, too. You have great ones along the highway in your world. I took lots of photos one of the times we saw you.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)