Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Scavenging, Contest Thoughts and Photos

We have a new Scavenger Hunt, http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20715095#post20715095  The Honeybee Maids came yesterday.  I did a quick sketch at my desk before they arrived.

 Number 1, some shelves - these are the rain gutter shelves in my studio.  Gene put them up for me.  They are very handy for paintings, clipping items up, bottles, tools or whatever needs to be handy.

This sketch is in the big/huge sketchbook with the Micron 03.  I did put a few pencil lines for the position of the shelves and paintings before I started with the pen.  Of course once the pen is in my hand, anything can happen.  

You can see the shelves are pretty full at the moment.  I may need more shelves.

* ** *** **** ***** **** *** ** *

'Tis the season for the Austin Pastel Society's annual competition.  The deadline is January 31.  There are not too many entries so far so you might want to get in your entry.  Many artists wait until the last day to enter, stressful, eh?  There is info on the website:
http://www.austinpastelsociety.com/juried-show.html
You can see a slide show of the winners from last year and the entries for this year.

Entering shows can be intimidating.  It sometimes seems like the same artists win.  I will tell you though, the reason the same artists win may be that they put in time and effort on their paintings, photographs and keeping their skills up to date. (and enter lots of contests)  You have to have a thick skin as well.  Every judge is different.  I'm sure judges try to be impartial but aside from looking at  technique, skill in the medium, composition, color, etc.,  The judges bring their own preferences to the table.  An entry that won last year, may not win this year or in a different show.  Your entries should follow the guidelines regarding deadlines, size, content, too.  Your abstract may not be accepted to a show featuring realistic wildlife or vice versa.

Why enter a contest?  Do you just like the social side and like the whole exhibition scene?   Do you feel that a win will validate your success as an artist?  Will it help sell your paintings? Will you be better known in your medium?  Will entering and winning help you find teaching jobs?   Will it get you gallery representation?  Just remember that judges are judges and contests are contests.

My experience in judging was at school events, young artists.  I tried to be impartial.  That can work both ways, at least for me.  I'm not a fan of abstract work.  I do really like and am attracted to some abstract pieces.  So as a judge, do I see an abstract in the same way I see a more traditional style?  Or do I prefer a pastel still life over an oil painting?  Would I pick an abstract just because I should pick one?

You might find it interesting to check the entries for the APS contest and pick your favorites and see if they compare to the judge.  The judge for APS also gives a workshop in Austin in March in connection with the judging.  This year it is Marla Baggetta http://www.landscapepaintinglessons.com/#!live-workshops/c53f

 Good luck and shall the "Best" painting win!

Adding this link on Wednesday, January 20, 7 p.m. about judges.

http://goo.gl/cml2YZ  Give Them What They Want by John R. Math
* ** *** **** ***** **** *** ** *

Day before yesterday was a good day weather wise.  Our resident hawk came for a visit and we had a gorgeous sunset.  Click on photos to see them larger.




2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

It has been a while since I entered a contest. I should try harder.sigh

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, contests are not for everyone. To me, you have to keep at it and enter often to have good results. It is the practice that is good for us I think so depends on your goals. Do collectors care if you won a prize? Or do they just like your painting? I don't recall anyone asking me if I won a prize or not. Hmmmm. Some people market themselves as winners so guess it is relative.....


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)