Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Long Story Newsletter - Do You Like Art?

I sent out a newsletter to my list of the Bastrop area.  I thought some of you might be interested as well.  Sorry if you already are on my list.  So here you go:

Do You Like Art?

Evidently you do or you wouldn't read my blog, follow me on social media or keep receiving my newsletter.  It is very interesting to talk with people about what art means to them and about the art they own.

Art is important in my world, not only because I am a painter.  I believe it is a way to communicate across language barriers.  I enjoy looking at all types of art.  I believe in buying art that makes me smile and touches my heart.  I grew up in ranching country in New Mexico and I love the southwest.  I have never had a completely southwest style home.  My dream home is like the one in my painting, Siesta Time.
Siesta Time, Pastel on Pastelbord, Framed, 18 x 24 inches $950 at Art Connections.

In real life we own paintings purchased from friends and artists we know or admire their work. Like so many friends in Bastrop, we lost everything in the 2011 fire. We are slowly replacing our modest collection of paintings, sculptures and other pieces from this area and some from South America.  The mishmash of our artwork all fits together somehow and makes our house a home.  When you like it, anything goes!

Years ago in Peru, a friend asked Gene and I to help her hang a new large painting.  The three of us picked a spot to hang it.   It was an abstract oil painting of Andean women in their hats.  It was shades of browns, tans and black as I recall, by a well known Peruvian artist. The painting looked great in her living room and a visitor would see it when you came in the front door.

While Gene was hanging it, she asked me if I liked the painting.  I told her that I liked it very much. 

"Where would you put it in your house?" she asked.

"I wouldn't put it in my house." My answer surprised her.

She did not understand how I could like it and not want it. I assured her that it was perfect for her contemporary style and not right for me.  Her living room looked beautiful with the painting in place.

Do you have a favorite piece and can't "have" it?  Do you have any art in your home?  How about your office?  Sometimes when you can't afford a piece you can purchase a print or copy of the original.  That is fine, I just prefer to have the "real deal".  Sometimes you can buy art on a time payment plan if you discover that it is a little pricey.  You can barter for art, too.

Artists understand if your walls are full. (You can rotate your art, though.)  Certain types of art may not be for you, even if you like it. You can see it in museums or other places.  There are other ways to support artists and fellow artists.  You can attend openings and share you findings with your friends and acquaintances.  You could have a show in your home or business.  Moral support goes a long way, too.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

I will be painting on Saturday, February 28, 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m. in downtown historic Bastrop, Texas, at Art Connections Gallery, 908 Main Street.  It would be fun to see you there, bring and tell your friends.  I will be demonstrating pastel painting.  And, as the old Bartles and James commercials said, "I appreciate your support!"

My pastel paintings are at Art Connections through February, as Featured Artist with Sharon Zeugin.  I am sure that there is a piece of art that is perfect for you or a friend in Art Connections Gallery -- paintings, sculpture, weavings, glass, pottery, kaleidoscopes, jewelry, tables, and soooo much more.  The gallery hosts about 90 artists from Bastrop and across the country.

My paintings available at Art Connections Gallery
908 Main Street, Bastrop, Texas  512 581 1799
http://artconnectionsgallerybastrop.com/




The Empty Bowl project is on that day, Saturday, February 28, at Bastrop High School, 1614 Chamber Street, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  For $20.00 you get to pick a handmade bowl (most made by young students), soup provided by the area gourmet restaurants and a silent art auction.  Proceeds benefit the Area Food Pantry. 

Have a bit of lunch there (I will be doing that.) then come watch me paint.  You will be helping our whole community.

I bought these bowls last year.  The red and blue ones made by students, I paid for two lunches because I couldn't decide between the two.  The bluebonnet bowl is by Lea Blue. I purchased two of them in the silent auction. Lea creates wonderful hand painted and hand thrown pottery at Blue Donkey Studio Gallery. http://www.bluedonkeygallery.com/


4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Somewhere recently (can't remember where) I read that people who say they like someone's art, but never buy that art, doesn't really like the art. I have mixed feelings. Sometimes I like someone's art, but it doesn't speak to me or mean anything to me and it is not what I want for my home. I see lots of art that I like, but don't want to own. I guess it could me that I don't like it enough to pay for it :)

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, sometimes I think that you are right about not liking it enough to pay for it. I do like a lot of art that I wouldn't want to own. And, I would like to own some abstract art which is weird. Maybe when it isn't too abstract like Desmond O'Hagan. desmondohagan.com His is too pricey for a "sort of want it". On the other hand I wouldn't be happy with a print. Hmmmm.

Bag Blog said...

O'Hagan's work is very cool. I wouldn't mind owning something of his. It does not seem to abstract - but certainly looser than normal. I would like to be looser like that.

Jo Castillo said...

I took a workshop with him, review on my blog if you search. He blocks in the dark, very dark. Works on Canson paper or did then. I was surprised he didn't use sanded paper. I know paper with less tooth means fewer layers so it does make you slow down and plan. :) I think his demo painting was $400 or some such and sold.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)