Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Train Ride, Sketches, Photos

We had a long but great day yesterday.  We drove through Taos to Antonito, Colorado, with a stop at Michael's Kitchen in Taos for breakfast.  We rode the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic train http://cumbrestoltec.com/ to Chama from Antonito.  The train ride was from 10:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. with a lunch stop in Osier, CO.  The ride goes in and out of New Mexico and Colorado 11 times.  Beautiful and relaxing.

The train ride is rougher with side to side movement than modern trains.  Part of the reason may be that they have had new cars specially made in Alamosa, Colorado, that are a bit wider than the original cars.  Very nice.  Then an hour or so bus ride back to Antonito, so time for a short nap.  We came back through Questa and Red River to have a different view on the way home.

In the parlor car we had an attendant and sat in padded chairs somewhat like kitchen chairs.  Not sure if I got a photo, but I did take some of the ceiling and wood work.  The cabinetry was done by a wood worker in Chama as I recall.



 Cabinets and ceiling, the wine glasses are plastic, sad to say.

 The lamp and ceiling.  The little narrow window was etched glass, too, pretty.

View out the back with the etched glass in the window at the start of the ride.

I took over 400 photos, so will take some time to decide what to post.  I will put them on my Picasa Albums and furnish a link.

I tried sketching, but it was not easy.  These are the two I managed and they sort of fit in my Scavenger Hunt 371.  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358126 They are in my purse sketchbook which is about post card size with a Pilot ball point pen.  These pens work well for purse as I can use it for a writing pen, too.  I don't like to use my sketch pens for writing, it is hard on the tips.  Maybe a larger sketchbook would have made it easier to sketch.

Number 12, view out a window - the view of San Antonio Mountain which is rounded off.  My sketch makes it look rough and the clouds seem to be part of the mountain.  Sigh.....

 You see how rounded the mountain is.  It is a stand alone volcano dome.  I didn't take other photos of it as I have many from Gene's birthday bike rides.  The area is so green and I tried getting one through the windshield on the way up as we drove right past it, but too much reflection.

Number 13, plant - I tried the aspens, but it was hard to get the black spots on the trunks of the trees!

Here are some of the aspens we passed.  Many more close to the train.

 A mountain view with pretty clouds, I think in New Mexico.
The train chugging along.  The cinders in the eyes can be a problem.  They suggest goggles or at least sun glasses.  I forgot my sunglasses in the car, of course.

We were in the last car.  You can see some people in the open car taking in the sights.


 Steam blowing out, they said to relieve pressure and clean out sediment in the tank.

From the back of the train.
Chama station as we left on the tour bus. 

 Questa as we turned to Red River.

Red River as we came into town.

Almost Home, near Eagle Nest

Sunset at the Vietnam Memorial as we got to Angel Fire.

Need to put away dishes and straighten things up around here to make room for company.  Woohoo!  More artsy stuff after the weekend.  Maybe some plein air painting in the works.




9 comments:

Bag Blog said...

You took some great train photos. At the base of that volcano mountain is Top of the World Farms. Some of our good friends live out there. The photo of RR looks like the town is slowing down - if we go eat over there, there won't be such a crowd!

Jennie said...

Looks like you guys had a great day. I could see you painting the photo of train as you were leaving on the tour bus.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. I took about 450 photos, so some should be good. Ha. I've always wondered about that farm. There haven't been as many tourists here this summer. Maybe it wasn't as hot in Texas and Oklahoma or something. Very quiet.

Jo Castillo said...

Jennie, it was a great day, thanks. Different than our usual, for sure. I probably won't paint the train station, but maybe something from the train.

Anonymous said...

It is really hot here in Cedar Creek lately. At this very moment it is 103.6. It is not even 4:30 so it could get higher before it starts to fall. In a word I would say it is AWFUL here!! Enjoy being in a cooler place. Carpe' diem!!
Judi Vreeland

Jennifer Rose said...

looks like a wonderful if a little bumpy train ride with lots to see :)

Mary said...

Wow, Jo, this sounds soooo cool. I do love a ride on a train, and you have captured some terrific scenes for us. I also enjoyed seeing your last couple of posts with your lovely oil painting and excellent sketching. Thanks for your faithfulness to regular posting, which I know is not easy to maintain.

Joan Tavolott said...

Love all the photos of the scenery and the gorgeous interior of the train. It isn't easy to sketch on a moving train...especially straight lines. lol But you did well.

Love the Taos photos in the previous post. I loved Taos when we were there. Enjoy!

Jo Castillo said...

Judi, sorry for the heat! It was such a nice early summer there that I don't feel like I had a summer! Ha. Hang in there!

Jennifer, thank you so much for commenting. I will check out your art.

Mary, ah, thank you so much. I hope to get back to perusing and commenting more. We have ridden the narrow gauge in Silverton, Colorado, too. A wonderful ride!

Joan, I'm sure you have sketched on trains, too. It ain't easy McGee!, as the old saying goes. Taos is a very special place. I'm glad you got to be there.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)