Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sketches for 372 and Gene's Birthday Ride, Photos

My blog is for art, right?  Some folks say we should only post about art, but my family and life are so intertwined with my art that I can't separate things.  I have loyal followers, thank you so much, that maybe what I do is OK.  Facebook and other social media seem to be the thing right now, but I really like to have control over the content on my blog.  Google is changing some, but at least you won't see rolling ads on my blog.  Hopefully I can maintain control and not have to move my blog.

I sketched on Gene's trike ride yesterday.  It was short, so I didn't finish one I was doing of the train in Antonito.  I can finish it from a photo, but it is just not the same.  So, only one sketch from the day.

For Scavenger Hunt 372  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358731, Number 6, middle - this is a stretch to fit, I was in the middle between the road and the power lines, right?  That is Gene going over the horizon.

This morning I sketched a couple of quick ones near the road.  I sketched in pen and added swipes of colored pencil.   They were growing in the bar ditch.  Bag Blog and I were discussing how words are different in different areas, maybe you will have to look up what a bar ditch is.  Smile.

Number 7, purple - a thistle or two and Number 8, flower - some of the little asters.

I put the link to the Hunts but wetcanvas.com is on the fritz today so you can join us in the Scavenger Hunts another day.  :)

Gene's birthday ride wasn't quite the success it has been in the past.  He did have a good ride but only about 21 miles before the rains came and he had to quit.  We should have started earlier, but we were slow getting out on the road.  He rides on Highway 285, starting in northern New Mexico and into Colorado through Antonito.  It is a good ride with ups and downs and most of it is about 8,000 ft or so in altitude.  Most of the ride is fairly level after Antonito so makes good territory for a long ride.  He tries to ride his age.  When he was younger he decided that he would ride 100 miles on his birthday to put some in the "bank".  This year he had to withdraw from the bank.  Ha!

The start of the ride at San Antonio Mountain.  He usually starts before that, but with the rain on the horizon, he decided to skip most of the uphill part.


San Antonio Mountain.  It is very green and beautiful this year.  Interesting to read about.  Here is wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Mountain_(New_Mexico)  Google for more.


Looking off to the east from our starting point.

Getting the Terratrike ready.  Gene has really enjoyed riding this.

Traveling down the road, about where I did my sketch.  I gave him about 20 minutes for my sketch and then took off.  About 2 miles down the road I saw a huge cloud and thought he was wet, but it went by ahead of him.

I waited for him at the border, rain showers all around but still missing us.

I took a photo of both of  the signs because I was chauffeur for the day as Gene's birthday present.  He was able to nap along the driving part.  I didn't take nearly as many photos as I do when I am passenger.


I waited at the train station and you can see the ominous clouds building up.

From Antonito Gene rode a few miles up the road and then the bottom fell out.  I picked him up just as it started to rain.  He got wet and I got sprinkled on, but saved him from being drenched.  I didn't take more photos as we headed back to New Mexico and his birthday dinner at Yu Garden.  Such a good Chinese restaurant in Taos that we have mentioned many times.  They were in Angel Fire before.  Amanda and family treat you well.  If you go, be sure and try the Volcano Shrimp.  They also have sushi now, so you can have a different experience.  The Urban Spoon link:  http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/234/1111084/restaurant/New-Mexico/YU-Garden-Taos





3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Twenty miles is a nice ride, although I know he wanted more. It sounds like it was still a good day.

Joan Tavolott said...

Happy Birthday to Gene!!! I am always impressed with the amount of riding he does on his birthday. Sorry those awesome clouds spoiled the rest of the ride. I'd be inside the car painting those clouds. lol Thanks for sharing all the photos.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thanks for Gene. It was a wonderful day and a nice ride for him. We have enjoyed the rain.

Joan, Gene says thank you. He was a bit disappointed but says maybe we will get back up there before we leave and add a few more miles!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)