Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Behind on Posting Sketches

I couldn't come up with a good title for this.  I'm behind on posting, sketching and very much on painting.  I have been keeping up on wetcanvas.com with sketching there when I do them.  But that is a little like procrastinating as I post and read and surf and ......  You  can see I started the sketching for Scavenger Hunt 360 back on May 19.  I also see that I haven't posted since May 16.  Wow!  I won't bore you with my lazy excuses.

I have been listening to the UT Baseball games.  The Longhorns were in Oklahoma City for the Big 12 Tournament.  They won the first two games and seemed to be playing well.  Yesterday they only had to beat Oklahoma State once to get to the championship against TCU.  They just couldn't pull it off and lost the first game and had to play again as it is a double elimination tournament.  They played an almost identical game and lost it, too.  Oklahoma State and TCU play the championship today at 4:30, I think.  The Longhorns will be in a Regional on the way to Omaha for the NCAA Championship they hope.  Joanna says it is good in a way that they don't have the Regional in Austin as the Horns have been playing better on the road ... well, until yesterday.  Ha.  Hope they can play on and get to Omaha. They players deserve that reward.  Sigh....

This is what I do when I listen to the games on the internet or am on hold on the phone.  Doodles are now called Zentangles, so here is one I did yesterday in between keeping score, drinking coffee, etc.  You can see one peeking through from the other side of the paper, too.

 The doodles look different depending on the way you hold them.  This is upside down and looks like a chicken or bird to me.


This way I see a fish with the head to the right.

 Right side up I see a small bird looking to the right and a turkey or turkey buzzard to the left or maybe Carmen Miranda.

This looks like a different fish going left.

This was done with a pencil.  I usually use a pen.  What do you see?

As was editing this I decided to add the zentangle from the other side of the page done in ink.  Also done during a baseball game I see.  Ha.
This one reminds me a little of the La Morenada dancers in Bolivia for Carnival.  You can see some on this link.  I see a squatty bird of some sort when I turn it upside down.  The dog looks like some bird with a worm.   I won't continue on with that, though.
http://www.rutahsa.com/boli-13.html

And for the Scavenger Hunt Sketches for Hunt 360  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1351063&page=3

Number 1, water;  Number 2, outside animal - egrets and crows; Number 3, tree
These were done with a Prismacolor pen.

Number 4, outside edible - dandelion ( I hear they are edible) and rosemary.  These were done on my iPad with Art Rage and the Truglide stylus.  It has a AAAA battery.  I had not seen one of those before, pretty small!

Next Number 5, liquid - my coffee and Number 6, raw food - Gene's candy-loupe which are supposed to be sweeter than cantaloupe but I couldn't tell the difference.  Maybe because I'm not fond of melon except for watermelon.

And today for the finish of Hunt 360, Number 7, flower - the mimosa blooms in the neighbor's yard and the little yellow flowers in our yard.  They are all over the grass area and open in the morning and close in the evenings.  They are bright yellow and the blooms are about the size of a 50 cent piece and about 10 inches off the ground.
Finally, Number 8, garden tool - Gene's wheelbarrows with the challenge of doing a sketch in one minute, three minutes and 15 minutes.  I couldn't keep going after 12 minutes on the last.  I was done with the wheelbarrows!!

For an art link or two:

You may remember I was working on a tonal painting with Enid.  Richard McKinley talked about the same subject on his blog.  The post is worth having a look.

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/the-quality-of-color-a-tonalist-approach

I found this article interesting along the same lines.  It is just so interesting how colors change by what they are placed next to.  Richard calls it "simultaneous contrast".

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/medium/pastel/the-contrast-effect-important-rules-for-landscape-painting



My post here has some photos of the same idea:
http://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/more-on-value.html

You can click on my home page above and then put "instruction" in the search box on the left and find many posts with my instruction experiences.

Have fun!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I love that you couldn't sketch on the wheel barrows for more than 12 minutes! I like all the sketches and doodles.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, Ha! I had already spent 4 other minutes on them. Boring...... Hugs.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog posted this and I deleted it when I was correcting my answer:

Bag Blog said:
"I am a doodler big time. You should have seen my notes in college. I think doodling kept me focused.

Thanks for the links. I like looking around the art world. "


Bag Blog, you should have made a doodling kit, uh, zentangle kit. They sell for good prices now! Gene used to doodle in meetings. One of his bosses or the ambassador asked for one to frame. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)