Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Hunting, Sketching and Charity Note, Karen Abrahams

I sketched this morning for Scavenger Hunt 343 in my usual sketchbook and Prismacolor Premier 03 pen.  Only one page to go!!


Number 6, hanging on the wall.  The top two drawings are by Genny Smith.  They are on old ledger paper in the style her father used to do.  The third down is a photo by Janice Senkowsky.  She took some photos at an outdoor art show and the rooster appears to be looking at the paintings.  She named it, "The Art Critic."  The last is by Lola Bernal http://www.etsy.com/shop/colorfurcritters, in Nevada.  We exchanged paintings last year in the Southwest forum.  It is inspiring to have other artist's work on my studio walls.  From my desk I can also see two paintings by Regina Burchett http://fallshadows.com, one by Jeri Salter http://jerisalter.com/,  and one by Mike Etie http://www.dailypaintworks.com/artists/mike-etie-2576.


I also sketched for the January Challenge, Southwest forum.  I liked a photo of Jenna http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/ and her mom.  I did not come close to capturing them, but I had a good time sketching the old time clothes they had on.  From the looks I got on their faces, they were not happy with my sketch either!  Ha.

***Note

Karen Abrahams http://www.karenabrahams.com/, song writer and musician from Austin, needs some help.  She needs surgery, well, several surgeries on her ears.  We have seen her several times, but she is especially good to volunteer for the Adoption Coalition Mistletoe Jam with Byrd and Street every year.  You might be able to attend a fundraiser in Dripping Springs and see and hear some great artists and help the cause.  If you cannot attend the fundraiser, maybe you would like to donate a small amount to help Karen get back to performing for us all soon.

The fundraiser will be January 19 at the Historic Mercer Dancehall, Dripping Springs, Texas.  It should be fun with many of her friends and local artists performing.  You can donate on-line at youcaring.com  http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/hearing-aid-keep-karen-singing-/109733



6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I am most impressed with your old-time people drawing.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. I don't draw people often. Good to practice once in a while.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Very nice sketch, Jo! They must have just been re-enacting the standard sour look that people in old-timey photos have, eh?
I have your lovely peppers and your Santa Fe adobe house in my kitchen, and think of you each time I see them!

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, thanks. They were being stern, but I over did it I think. Hard with one line mouths. Ha. I think of you everyday, too. I haven't framed the adobe house yet, but have it on the shelf in my studio. Great memories, eh?

Joanna said...

It's amazing to think about what Karen Abraham has managed to accomplish with her music while having so many hearing problems her whole life. I hope the surgeries work and help her.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, you are so right. Karen is such a great performer and song writer. The fundraiser should be fun.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (974) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1795) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)