Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, October 04, 2013

Hunting #331

The number of artists sketching on the Scavenger Hunts has dropped off lately.  Maybe it is the nice weather in the northern hemisphere.  Artists, in general,  seem to sketch more when they are "housebound".  Not true with our sketcher friend, Joan T.  Have a look at her blog and her travels. http://www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/  She lives in New York and braves the snow to get out and sketch.

I sketched in my comfort zone on the porch yesterday and this morning.  It is so nice right now.  About 72 or so in the mornings.  I see on the weatherbug it will be about 49 on Monday morning.  Yikes!

Anyway for Scavenger Hunt 331 I sketched in the Canson sketchbook with the Prismacolor Premier 03 fine line marker/pen.  Probably about 15 minutes each, freehand.

Number 3, piece of jewelry and Number 4, hand.  The jewelry is a pin from Bolivia.  It is gold filagree with little llamas, houses, people and Inca symbols.  This piece was with me when the big fires took our home.  I have it, a pair of earrings and a wedding band from Bolivia.  Nice memories.

Number 5, landscape.  Of course out to the southwest from the porch.  The huge tree is a bit sparse this year, I assume from the drought.  Still a pretty view, though.

I found another quote for today:

"If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." -- Michelangelo
Added about an hour later:

I did a sketch for the Quick Draw event in the Southwest forum on wetcanvas.com.  I don't often sketch there because we work from photos, but this one caught my eye.  I didn't do it justice, but was so cute.  The foal is a Bashkir Curly Foal, photo from She-She.  My usual sketchbook and pen/marker.  About 10 minutes.


7 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I like your landscape drawing.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Bag Blog, thank you. For years I only sketched landscapes. After all, in most cases no one else knows what I saw, but with the Scavenger Hunts I have really sketched different things.

Joanna said...

Oooh. Joan T. sketches in watercolors. Cool.

I like the horses.

And, re. your quote: I'm always amazed at people wanting me to give them a quick 10-minute tutorial to show them how to do something on the computer that it's taken me 30 years of cumulative knowledge to do easily. I can give hints but I can't pass on all my knowledge in 10 minutes. Sigh...

gene said...


Is Joanna talking about me?

Gene

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, I have always admired Joan's watercolor and ink sketches. She is always sketching! Beautiful.

I understand about tutorials. I always try to tell too much and we need to learn/teach a little at a time. Teaching reinforces what I've learned. I need to do more of that.

Gene, I think Joanna is talking about the both of us!!

Joanna said...

I was talking about people at work.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, you made us smile, anyway. Ha! It is sad that it is so true, though.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)