Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Home Again, Sketch and Photos


We are back home in the heat and humidity.  We have been in some heat in New Mexico, but it was dry and you could cool off in the shade.  Here the shade is muggy and hot.  

We had a great time in Albuquerque, but it is always nice to be home and sleep in your own bed.  Ah, that means I am feeling at home here.  It is almost two years since the big Bastrop Fire that destroyed our home along with 1600+ more.  I feel for the folks in Arizona.  I hope they can all recover quickly and their support is as great as we had here in Bastrop.

Yesterday I unpacked my art tote and sort of arranged my studio so I can paint some.  We shall see.  I plan to set aside some specific studio time where I do not put in a load of clothes, cook , watch TV or be on the computer.  I will pretend I am not in the house, just the studio.  We shall see.  Even if I don’t paint, I will be in an art situation.

I sketched on the Fourth of July in Albuquerque out on the patio with my iPad, Brushes, and my fingers.  There are so many balloons in Albuquerque on the calm mornings.  The red white and blue balloon is a bit off in my sketch, but it was there, in fact there were three of them.  

The red white and blue ones were far away by the time the sun came out better.  The balloons are always so interesting.  You may not notice them and then you hear a swoosh-oomph as they burn some gas and you look up and there they are.

Today, I had my coffee on the porch and then sketched in the dining area.  For Scavenger Hunt 320, in my regular sketchbook with a Prismacolor pen and added a bit of colored pencil.

Number 4, pepper shaker and Number 5, salt shaker.  We use sea salt and a grinder as salt just sticks together and gets hard.

The clouds were beautiful yesterday.  Why don’t such spectacular clouds produce rain?? Sigh.

We saw Phoebe Hunt a while back at The Bugle Boy in La Grange, Texas.  She is quite the performer.  Fun and can sure play the fiddle.  You might check out her new album.  We preordered and it came yesterday.  I’m liking it a lot.  



Our “horor-scope” in the Austin American Statesman fit right in.  It said for Virgo, “The one who controls the radio dial or the playlist that’s running through the speakers controls the mood of the space.  Let that person be you.”  Fits right in to my plans for the day.

Gene is working in his shop on his desk and plans to go grocery shopping later.  Isn’t he the nicest guy?  Thanks, Gene.  Joanna came out on Sunday and brought milk so we haven’t had to go to town yet.  Thanks to Joanna, too!

Off to the studio  .. we shall see what the results will be......

6 comments:

Rose Welty said...

"I will be in an art situation." - that is absolutely hilarious Jo! I'm still chuckling.

I hope you do manage something, even just a play around in the paint for the fun of it - I do that all the time and call it research. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Rose, you made me smile, too. I did play with acrylics. Touched up a small plein air I did when Sue was here. I'm not satisfied with it, but at least smeared some paint around!

Bag Blog said...

Since getting back from my quickie trip to NM, I have not had time to paint anything. Well, maybe I had time, but with so much going on, I have not painted. Come on Muse!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, yes it is hard to find the muse when we are so distracted. We do need those distractions to have a good life, though, don't you think? You have good times to look forward to this summer.

Joanna said...

The art situation comment was very funny. :-)

The young lady who played at the Bugle Boy last night played in a style that was *very* reminiscent of Phoebe's music. Her name was Katie Holmes (she's not the actress that used to be married to Tom Cruise). She's only just getting started and had a 5-song (maybe 6?) EP available. The keyboard player on her CD was the same one who plays keyboards for Phoebe. So, they run in the same circles. Interesting.

PS: Glad to have you home. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Joanna, Thanks. It is good to be home. Yesterday was very nice. Quiet here today! Katie sounds very interesting. I just listened to my new Phoebe CD when I posted. Enjoyed it a lot. See you soon


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)