Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Cowboys, Hunting , Selling Art and Photos


Happy National American Cowboy Day!!  

On this day, I always think of my dad as he was a hired hand -- a real cowboy.  He worked for room and board and spending money.  He loved it and so did my mom.  Check out previous stories about Dad here.

This photo is of my dad barrel racing on Burro, a horse that belonged to Pete Evans. This was when I was in junior high school, so the mid fifties.  The cars are older.  Ha.    I’m not sure where it was taken.  It is not Magdalena.  Maybe one of you recognize the terrain.  Maybe Datil or Springerville??  The photograph is from Phoenix, Compton Photography.


Thanks to my sister, Barbara, for the photo.  She loaned me a few to scan and print since our photos of the old days are gone.  Must get that done...

My morning routing is boring, right?  Starting off the day in the same old way:  feet up sketching on the porch and having my morning coffee.  I don’t think it is boring.  I get a great start to the day.  We watch the birds, squirrels and rabbits.  Occasionally we see our resident roadrunner, hawk or deer.  Gene reads his paper on his computer while pedaling a fit desk, stationary bicycle.  He hopes to be back on his regular bicycle on Monday.

I sketched on Monday on the porch with my iPad and the app, Brushes.

Number 1, plant - the vine on the fence
Number 2, from your neighbor’s yard - the clothesline and fence

This morning I sketched with my sketchbook and a Pilot regular ball point pen.

Number 3, leaf - from the geranium
Number 4, elbow - mine is so round you can’t tell which is in and which is out.  Sigh....
Number 5, table leg - How can this zigzag table stand firmly?  It has more balance than I do.  Of course both legs are complete, it just didn’t fit on my paper.’’

I'm still going to post the WIP of the windmill painting.  I just decided to wait until I have the progression finished and lately painting takes a while.  I need to get with it because I get bored and then will never finish.  But, I am going to do this, you'll see.

Art Link of the Day:
I have been reading this blog by Barney Davey. http://artprintissues.com/  He has some excellent ideas for the business side of art.  This article is about selling art with no fear.  Beware, you might learn something........

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Love the photo!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, the photo is cool. Dad did love barrel racing. As I recall, Burro did, too. Not all horses like to do that pattern business. My horse, Nieto, did not like it. He would switch and wring his tail and poke along. He was so fast after a calf though, he thought that was worth doing. :-)

Bag Blog said...

The photo of your dad is great.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Bag Blog! Thank you. They were having fun.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)