Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Austin Kappa Derby Day with Austin Pastel Society

The Austin Pastel Society is again invited to join Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority in its annual fundraiser, Austin Kappa Derby Day, this year for Austin Children's Shelter and its scholarship foundation.  This is a one-day event that includes a silent auction and raffle.  The APS is invited to have pastel paintings for sale with the profits going to the charity.

The event will be held on Saturday, May 5, at the Westwood Country Club, 3808 35th Street, Austin, TX  78703

The event is open to the public, more information on Kappa's website.

Looks like a fun afternoon.  The reason I bring this up is that I will have two paintings there, for sale with the APS.  Part of my sales price will go to the event charity which is the Austin's Children's Shelter this year.  I can't show you my paintings yet as I haven't painted them.

I did paint six small, 3 x 3 inch, paintings and put them in a wooden box that turns like a lazy susan.  I'm donating this to the auction.  I think it came out great.  You can go to the event and bid on it in the silent auction!  All the proceeds will go to the Children's Shelter from this item.


I had fun with this.  I cut the paper from Art Spectrum Colourfix sanded paper.  I used white paper and put under paintings of pastel with water on each square.  I painted the paintings with soft pastels.

I put the squares on an old board so I could stand up to paint them. I like to stand when I paint.  I get more movement in the painting and can stand back easily to look it over.

I put artists tape on the back of the papers and then used masking tape to tape them to the board.  I wasn't sure how long they would be taped before I finished them.  With artists tape, if they are there for extended time you can heat the tape with a hair dryer to take it off the paper without damage to the paper.  Masking tape can tear the paper after it sits for too long.  It didn't take long to do the flowers or to get the glasses cleaned in the box so no problem with that.

I painted the bottom row, then flipped the board to paint the bottom row.  This way, pastel dust does not fall down on the ones below when I am painting on two or more different pieces.  They even sort of look neat there, eh??

Here is more photos of the finished box:

Blue Bells

Indian Blankets

Bluebonnets

Mexican Hats

Verbena


I didn't take a photo of the wine cups in the box so you can see one a bit larger.  My favorite was the Mexican Hats, which do you like?

The theme for the paintings is spring or Derby Day items.  I'm thinking about what to paint  .... a horse, racehorses, mint julep, more flowers, ladies in hats??  Hmmmmm...possibilities. Check back to see what I decide.

6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Oh, I just love the idea of this little box. The paintings are super!!!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. I have done others from Hobby Lobby, here is another. Photo Box

Bag Blog said...

The box and paintings turned out very cool! I like the Indian Blankets best.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you so much. I have the box on the coffee table to enjoy until I have to deliver it.

Joanna said...

I like the bluebonnets best! :-)

The box looks great. Whoever wins the auction will be a very lucky person.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Joanna, thanks. It is good that we like different things since there is such a variety of paintings and styles. It is so neat that we still have wildflowers around here.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)