Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pastel Do Over

A few weeks ago, I painted out with Enid Wood in her dining room.  I painted this scene out her window.  She painted, too.  I'm anxious to see hers, she says it is a keeper!  Enid paints beautiful and award winning pastels.

Mine, well, I'm not so sure.  As you recall, I painted it, wiped it off while I was there, brought it home, wiped it off again and here it is at the moment.  I suppose it is done.


Here is the first one in case you don't go to the previous post:








I actually like the first one better, but of course it is gone.  It had more color even though it was cloudy.  The new version seems to be foggy instead. 

And if you wonder how it looks when it is wiped off:


I wet it with a paint brush and water so that it wouldn't muddy up the new layers.  Painting on it after it dried, of course.  Painting is always a lesson.  Practice is so important.  Sometimes it is good to paint with no expectations.  Just paint for fun and see what happens and what you learn.

Richard McKinley advises artists to not make practice paintings "precious".  I think we do that.  We try to make a perfect painting every time without playing and practicing.  McKinley gives great pastel pointers on his blog.  He has instruction CD's available, too.  I bought his book and it comes with a CD in the back.  Cool.

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I like the second painting, but I kind of like the first one better, too. I try to tell my students not to worry about messing up a painting that they can always do it again. But they are still over cautious. I guess we are all that way sometimes.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I think the first one is fresher, of course. I always paint better when I am looking at the real thing, too. It is good practice, though to see what I did wrong and what I did right! :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)