Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oil Painting - Flowers and Baseball Note

I painted at my studio yesterday and today. I started an oil painting of the flowers I had for my ribbon cutting. When I stopped yesterday I was not completely sure about the painting. Today I realized I had the background backwards. I had the dark side where the light hits and the light side on the "light side" where the light is coming from. It is much better to have the dark on the side where the light is coming from, remember I am speaking of the background, and light where the light is going. You can see it here in this snapshot. My light source is on the right .. so that should be the darkest background. This makes the objects of interest, the sunflower, to have its bright side against the darkest background.

Blossoms, 11 x 14, oil on Gessobord by Ampersand.

Not a great photo, you get reflections from wet paint. Also my camera was set on small images. I always keep it on high settings. The battery ran down last week and I put in a charged battery and reset the date. I never thought about the size settings. Evidently the default is small photos. I will take a better photo tomorrow or when the paint sits a while.

I also only got a small photo of some of the excitement at the game last night. You can read on Joanna's page, I can never explain correctly. The end result is the "closer" (pitcher) for UT, Chance Ruffin, had to bat. He hit a sacrifice fly. Everyone was so excited. I actually got this photo of him with the ball flying off, the white line near the foot of the first baseman. Very exciting. Oh, the Longhorns won over UT San Antonio, 6 - 4. So check out the story on Joanna's Longhorn Baseball Page and the official Longhorn page.


5 comments:

Joanna said...

I really like the flowers...even if the background is backwards!

Bag Blog said...

I like the flowers. I'm impressed that you were able to get an oil done while golfing, opening a studio, baseball watching, etc.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you. I didn't make it clear that I corrected the background. Made a difference, I should have taken a before and after, eh?

Bag Blog, thanks. I need to get more paintings done for New Mexico. Time is short. We have to go to Oklahoma City for the Big 12 tourney in between and hopefully a Regional and Super Regional, too. :)

Ann Flower said...

I am amazed to see the painting of flowers. It looks awesome. You are extremely talented.

Jo Castillo said...

Ann, thank you so much. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)