Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Hunting Sketches are on......

I have been doing paperwork and business art stuff today. Also Austin Pastel Society business, too. Never a favorite when you feel you should be painting. I planned to paint today, maybe tonight ..

For Scavenger Hunt 116 here are a few more sketches drawn over a couple of nights.


#6, Something that shows my character and one of the challenges to draw something continuous line (not lifting the pen from the paper) - my sneakers always show my character. These are especially scruffy and worn like me. Drawn with a Pilot ball point pen, 10 minutes or so in my sketchbook half page. I think an ink pen would have been pretty messy when I stopped the line to think and look. Globs of ink, right? #7, color of my hair, a silver gray pewter bowl or vase from Bolivia. We were commenting on wetcanvas.com about how photos emphasize mistakes. The bowl looks very crooked and I thought it was good, now I see the sketch in a photo and notice the weird shape.

That is a good painting tip, to take photos of your painting as you go along. Look at them on the computer and also switch them to black and white to check value. I find this better than turning the actual painting upside down or looking at it in a mirror.


#8, Book I'm reading or impressed by - Lament by Maggie Stiefvater. Maggie is a wonderful artist and now famous author. She is sharing and inspiring as I mentioned in several posts. #9, heirloom - an old murphy bed in my studio, oak with a mirror on the front, it is a double bed. This bed was made in 1836 and caused a few arguments in the family over ownership. It has been used all through the years and we still use it. These sketches were done with the Lamy pen and colored pencil about 15 and 30 minutes respectufully.



#10, Favorite art supply - all of them, right? I like pastels the best until I feel like using a brush, then until I feel like drawing, and ..... This is one end of my tabletop in my studio. Cluttered as always. Boxes are pastels. about 25 minutes with Lamy pen in sketchbook.

4 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: Really neat sketches that you have shown today.

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, as always I thank you for your words and stopping by. They are always fun to do. Oh my, I'm starting to have fun sketching!

Michelle said...

Jo, Looks like a lot of fun...great work! I think I would want to fight over that murphy bed too! Very cool!

Jo Castillo said...

Michelle, The murphy bed has been around. My Dad used to give it away when he'd had a few too many, no one ever took him up on it. We did and now still have it! Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (205) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (971) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1790) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)