Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Final on Hunt 95

My turn at hosting the Scavenger Hunt is over, now. It is always fun and I am inspired by the other artists. Some have been sketching off and on for the total number of hunts and we get to know each other and our styles and ideas. Some of the artists are very detailed and do almost complete drawings, taking their time and rendering them in pencil, pen and adding color. Some sketch with paint and computers. Amazing to see. You can see sketches on the Hunts or check the artists on my links.

Some of us work quickly, not intending a finished drawing. That is my idea, just to get practice and see how things look without erasing or starting over. I am trying to look at something and put down lines to describe it the first time. Some of my sketches really show my lack of patience and planning. I do think I am slowly improving.

I did get a couple of sketches done to finish out Scavenger Hunt 95. Number 9, a bird feeder or bird house. I did both.

The bird house is an ornamental one about 8 or 9 inches high and is painted like toll painting. I was looking at that when I added it to the list. These are in the regular sketchbook with a Micron 005 pen, about 23 minutes for both items.



Number 10, welcome mat or where you wipe your feet. I sketched the welcome mat straight on and then it looked so lonely that I decided to add the step. Wrong..... I just sketched it in from where I was sitting without thinking and of course the angle was different. Now it looks like the welcome mat is hanging on the step. A senior moment I suppose. About 15 minutes with a Pilot ball point pen in the old sketchbook. Now on to Scavenger Hunt 96.

That was the last sketch in this NY Sketchbook. I can't believe it took a year of sketching to finish it. I did do some other sketches in some different sketchbooks, but kept this one for Scavenger Hunts only. I have a plan for it and will post about it when I get it ready, build a little suspense.

7 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: Your bird house is really cool.

Rose Welty said...

Jo, these are nice. Congrats on doing another...every nine days, that's a commitment.

Your lettering for "welcome home" is very good, btw.

Jo Castillo said...

Hey there fishing guy, thanks. It is fun to discover all the little touches around this house.

Rose, thank you, too. It is nice for all you busy people to stop by. :) The Hunts have been a commitment and one of the reasons I started a blog. I had never kept a journal/diary for more than a couple of weeks despite an effort several times a year!

Joan said...

Jo, Great sketches!!! I did get some done up in Maine, but can never post from my sister's slow computer. It's good to be back and be able to comment on everything.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Joan, thank you. I saw the corn and lobster sketches. That looked like good times in Maine!

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Hi, Jo - I enjoyed your sketches! I wanted to join in, especially since you were leading the show, but it just didn't work out for me this time. I'm still amazed you do all that work in pen!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Regina, thanks and you can drop in on any Hunt and do one or twenty-six. :) I never get even half done.

I was thinking about the pen work I do. It is probably just being lazy to not pre-draw with pencil and erase mistakes. This way I have an excuse to just plow ahead. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)