Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Art brings joy

There is an interesting article, Art Brings Joy To The Artist, Too, in the Albuquerque Journal here, today by Jim Belshaw. (It says the article is free, I hope the link works. ) It is about Peggy Zuris, a 52 year old plein air artist that is just entered Hospice. She is a colorist.

The author, Belshaw, said,
"Artists perform a sleight of hand (a sleight of eye?)that I don't pretend to understand. A long time ago in my checkered career it was my job to edit art reviews , and I came away from it thinking that quite a few self-styled art "critics" didn't understand it, either. But they had a way of writing in great, looping circles that made you think they understood. (They were in fact, artists in their own right, creators of a kind of barnyard oeuvre.)

As for me, I am a rank amateur. I look at a painting, step up as close to it as I can so I can see the brush strokes, see where the hand pressed to make a point or leave only a suggestion of one, and then step back with a question: "How did she do that? What did she see that I didn't."


Here is a Zuris quote from the article,
"I love colors," she said. "For a while back in the '80s I fought depression, and then I saw a show on really bright paintings, and I wanted to capture that. I wanted to capture the color. It's the first thing you see in a painting, and then the images and shapes. But I love color. God created it, and I like to use it to tell a story, to create a mood. I use it to tell the viewer how I feel about a project."


The article ends:

"Regardless of the circumstances, the sleight of hand continues, the artistry I will never understand. It produces colors and images I don't see until they leave her hand and appear on the canvas before her. As I said, artists have always appeared to be magicians from where I sit.
"Brush strokes are like a journey, my journey" she said. "I like paintings where you can see the brush strokes, see where the thought came from, see where it's going. The chemo takes energy, but I need to paint. I need to get friends together and paint. It's a gift from God. It's a gift to create."

Write to Jim Belshaw at The Albuquerque Journal, P.O. Drawer J, Albuquerque, NM 87103; telephone — 823-3930; e-mail — jbelshaw@abqjournal.com



Zuris isn't able to paint plein air right now, but is still painting with friends. How great is that?

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)