Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sketches for Hunt 86

I relaxed a little after I finished working on a commissioned painting by sketching for Scavenger Hunt 86. I can't believe it is 86 already. I started on Hunt #2 in the summer of 2006. Jeanne Grant started with #1 and still going strong. We have fun and it feels like we all know each other now. One artist makes a list of 26 items with some extra challenges. We have 9 days to sketch them in any order. Jeanne put up the list for this time. It is a little vague, ha. Usually the items are named. It helps to sketch things that we wouldn't normally sketch and gives ideas so you don't usually have to think about what to sketch. This time you have to think a little, usually the list is of items like a glass of water, your mailbox, a heater, mixer, etc. Here is the list for this Hunt.

Scavenger Hunt #86 May 17-25

Animal, vegetable, & mineral
Porous
Gold & silver
Rock, paper, & scissors
Thick & thin
Spiritual
Organic
Soup & sandwich
Breakfast Challenge 1: lunch and dinner
Fish & fowl
Distant
Close
In your face
Delicate
Massive
Simple
Strong
Weak
Final
Beginning
Backward
Long
Limp
Shallow
Deep
High

Challenge 2: something represents your personality
Challenge 3: something represents your age
Challenge 4 for extra credit: something you would use to celebrate a birthday

My number 1, long. We got stuck on a LONG Lifetime movie today. Drawn with a Micron 005 in my regular sketchbook. About 15 minutes.


Number 2, gold and silver. This little plastic box of earring holders, ends ?, with some in gold and silver. More gold ones left as I seldom wear gold earrings so haven't lost the keepers. About 15 minutes with the Micron 005 and a touch of yellow highlighter. Number 3, high. The corner of our living room at the ceiling, must be 18 - 20 feet up to the corner. About 8 minutes with the Micron 005 in my regular sketchbook. All three sketches done this afternoon.


Artists don't have to finish all the list and can do them in any order. (I rarely get more than 10 done and have never finished the list.) You can post them on wetcanvas and receive comments and critiques if you want them. You can comment or not. It is encouraging to sketch in company and keeps me sketching. My sketching style hasn't changed, I keep hoping that some of the very precise sketching will rub off on me, but no luck. I do improve in speed, and accuracy which I think helps my painting. Jeanne (link above) is an example of someone that has really learned and advanced her drawing skills from all her practice. She joins in many of the wetcanvas projects and you can see the great progress she has made. She has some quirky ideas (you can tell from this list) and has been a delight for the Hunts. :) Come join us. You get to practice, learn something, make friends and have a good time, too.

6 comments:

Maggie Stiefvater said...

I love the idea of that scavenger hunt! Can I do it for my blog next month? Or is there a new one each month?

Jo Castillo said...

Maggie,

We do a new Hunt every 9 days. I would imagine Jeanne would love to share this list for your blog, though.

There would be some new sketchers (?) for sure. :)

Rose Welty said...

Jo, with summer break here my art time is more scattered, no big chunks of time. (So I probably can't get any big pieces done.) I've got a few things that will go hot and cold, but I may try and join in. We'll see.

Jo Castillo said...

Boy, Rose I can understand that. I'm the opposite, with baseball over soon, I may have more time. :)

Joan said...

I enjoy the hunts and love seeing what/how different people do their sketches. It's fun to make friends that way.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks. It is fun and we do meet friends. I have so enjoyed corresponding with you and the others. Especially nice when you don't get to go out with other artists to paint, you get some feedback on your work. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (203) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (969) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1781) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (7) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)