Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Art with Susan, La Villita

Yesterday was a trip to San Antonio. Gene had a meeting there, so I went to visit Susan Carlin at her new studio in La Villita. It is really a great location and I had a great time.

Susan had a student there, Sharon Woody, so we didn't converse as much as we would normally. Susan and I (or is it just me) can never talk fast enough and never finish a conversation. Dang. But I did paint plein air on Susan's patio and she got her work done, so that is a good thing. The weather was perfect.


This is the scene on the patio that I was putting down in pastel. I was trying to simplify it to focus on the fountain.


Here is Susan checking my painting and giving me some professional hints and a soft critique. :) She helped me with the water and to find some important additions of the two lamps to fill in the left side and add some interest.


Gene took this of me working on my painting and Susan working on a sketch.

I enjoyed talking with the people that were visiting Susan's studio. I have said before that sometimes I like the talking as much as the painting. Again ,it was a great day and good for me to be in the company of a good friend and great artist. Hopefully some will rub off on me!

Tomorrow I will have another art day with Regina Burchett and try out her new studio. Yippee! Two great days in one week. We will be working in pastel. Such fun! Maybe I will finish the patio scene and post a finished photo.

9 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

Hi Jo! It's so fun to come visit your blog and find pix of your day painting on Monday. You're right- we just didn't get enough talking time. It was good getting to see you 'in action,' though.
Let's do it again! Just us this time.

Bag Blog said...

I'm so envious! It all looks wonderful.

Jo Castillo said...

Susan, we do need to get together once in a while for sure. The room downstairs is available to get away, too!

bag blog, it is always fun. Let me know if you get south of Dallas! :)

Joan said...

I love that you were out painting in a spot that I've visited!! How fun to paint with a friend who can provide a chat and a critique at the same time.

Jo Castillo said...

Almost like you and Michelle, huh? Nice to paint with friends. Inspiring and fun. Thanks for commenting. :)

Bag Blog said...

Spring time in the Hill Country! I would love to come your way. I was thinking that it would be fun to be in a workshop with you sometime.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: It does look like you were having fun and were also were warm.
I wish I was warm.

Jo Castillo said...

bag blog, maybe we can get together and paint sometime. Slight chance our paths could cross in Lubbock, too. Ha. I bet we would get some talking done!

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, Yes the weather is so great at the moment. Nice days and cool evenings. We have to enjoy while we can. In July we get 24 hours a day hot and humid. Funny thing right now, we can't have the house open as we have yellow pollen from the loblolly pines. It covers everything with a fine yellow powder.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)