Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, September 10, 2007

Sketch and the Whole Enchilada

This is the last day of the Scavenger Hunt 54. Doesn't it go by quickly? I never finish. It does keep me sketching and that is very good.

#14, Serving bowl. In the NY sketchbook with a Micron 005 pen. About 10 minutes. The dreaded ellipses. It didn't look too bad at the time I did it. :) Maybe one day I will actually work on them with a pencil, ruler, etc. I am more careful if I am putting ellipses in a permanent drawing or painting. This is just practice, remember?

Gene is out on his bicycle and I am sitting here, hungry, and thinking of what to eat. We received this photo from Jennie of her homemade enchilada, which by the way, she ate almost the whole enchilada. She makes the corn tortillas and red chile herself. Yumm.

Oh my. My mouth is watering. Have you ever had a New Mexico style enchilada? With an egg on top? Oh, so good. Sadie's in Albuquerque has serves about the best as far as restaurants are concerned. They also sell great salsa. Silver City has none, the chile here is not great. Must be too close to the border or something. Las Cruces has some good chile, though. We will let you know what place is tops there. Most restaurants thicken their chile with a little flour so that restricts my eating red chile in many places as I am trying to eat gluten free. A few make green chile sauce with no flour so I have eaten those. Not quite the same. Ha. The Elephant Butte Inn makes their green chile about like I do, so that was the best I had had for a while when we ate there last week.

Maybe I will at least go warm up a tamale we bought in Bayard with some frozen red chile and a fried egg on top. That would be close. Well, I take that back. Not even close. But, it would be red chile and egg. The tamales are certainly not as good as Gene's mom used to make or even the ones Jennie and I make, usually for Christmas. I haven't cooked here very much. About all I have cooked is migas for brunch. Migas are corn tortillas broken up and browned, then scrambled with eggs and cheese and hot peppers. I usually add some hash browns and meat of some sort. Here I use green chile and hot dogs. We have only bought lettuce and tomatoes once. When we go out I eat salad or for lunch I sometimes get a Subway tuna sandwich as a salad. They finally have spinach again, so the salad is more healthful.

I do have a restaurant page on my website with recommendations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico. I haven't updated in a while, but this reminds me to get with it. It also has only a few of our favorites, it would be a full time job to keep it current. :)

4 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

Ok, so now I'm hungry. I was just going to say thanks for the comment. The words "order" and "studio" aren't usually found in the same sentence if one is speaking about MY studio, but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. It'll help that I'll have students on Wednesdays to tidy up for.
I always love to see your sketches!
Will you be back for APS on the 27th?

Jo Castillo said...

Susan, thank you on the sketching. I had one of the tamales, not satisfying. Ha. Studios are hard to keep neat. Did you see Char's? She is neat and tidy. We won't be back until late October. I have to be back for the last week for a workshop at the Bunkhouse with Bob Rohm. Regina and I are going.

Jo

Anonymous said...

This makes me homesick for some homemade tortillas and Gene's brisket...

Jo Castillo said...

Leslie,

Now that you mention it, we haven't had brisket for a while....hmmm. Shucks, now I'm hungry again.

Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)