Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

View into Study, Sketch for the Hunt


I sat on the deck and sketched and had coffee (decaf). For Scavenger Hunt 53, sketch #4 View from window/door into a room, I did the view into the study from the deck. The door has a wrought iron screen so a little hard to show what is inside. The door is open with a chair, desk and the far window and ceiling fan. Thank goodness the door isn't really this wonky or we wouldn't be able to go in and out. Ha. This was done with the Micron 005 in the NY Sketchbook. Challenge to sketch with pen and no pre-drawing with pencil.

I love the Micron pens. The first ones I used were size 05 and that seems to be the best for me. I bought a package of six in a variety of colors not noticing the difference in size. These new ones are 005. The fine line is lovely, but I tend to be a little heavy handed and have worn the nub on this purple one before its time! So sad.

The sketchbook says it has 200 sheets. I have used 23 on both sides so far this summer. I have a few to go to finish it, don't I? :( I have used it for the Scavenger Hunts, only and have been doing my other sketches in other books. Again I think the lines would be better/straighter if I put the book on a table to sketch, but I enjoy sketching outside and it is supposed to be enjoyable and for practice.

I will say, that sketching on a regular basis has encouraged me to keep at it. I tend to take the art bag and a sketchbook where ever I go now. I haven't sketched too much in restaurants. I'm usually with Gene and I don't let him read his newspaper or book, so I don't sketch. Heh, heh. I did sketch in Palomas, Mexico, the other day while I waited for him. I didn't post those sketches. Sketches are not really meant for the public and so I kept those for me.

It is beautiful out this evening, so I'm off to the deck. More tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anna Sellers said...

I am a fan of the micron pens. I have not been brave enough to sketch with them, however. I guess that is silly when I think about it.. its just paper. I have ruined lots of paper in my life.

When I was little I used to think that the screen doors with the wrought iron were very expensive and I used to love to run my fingers along the design as if I was touching gold. Silly memory, but fun that your sketch reminded me of that.

Jo Castillo said...

Anna, I sketch with pens because I'm impatient, I think. I admire realistic drawings and the colored pencil like my friend, Leslie, does. And, like the piece you have been working on. I get bored, I guess, and rarely do something over. If I take too long on a painting, I discard it.

Interesting what triggers memories, huh? Any of the senses seem to trigger other senses. A smell, like rain or music.

Later,
Jo

Bag Blog said...

I have not tried the micron pens, but I feel a trip to the art store coming on. I found the cutest little art store in Calgary. I bought some Yupo watercolor paper that I read about on Michael Fay's blog (Fire and Ice). It is plastic paper that allows the paint to pool - very different and wild. I will post a painting that I did on the yupo paper tomorrow. I also bought a smaller sketch pad so that I don't have to wag my larger pad around.

Jo Castillo said...

BagBlog, Have fun with your new art equipment. I have enough trouble trying to do watercolor, I don't need a slippery surface! LOL Glad you mentioned Michael Fay. His blog was highjacked a few months ago and I had not found his "real" site again. I will link to it again.

Do they have Tim Horton's in Calgary? We got hooked on their blueberry cheese danish. Here is a quote from Gene's journal a couple of years ago: "We talked to Mother and to Joanna on the way back to the apartment. We also stopped at Tim Horton's for a pastry and coffee. We discovered Tim Horton's in Nova Scotia last summer, it is a chain of pastry and coffee shops started several years ago by a famous Canadian hockey player. The chain has been bought by Wendy's which means there is a Wendy's on one side and a Tim Horton's on the other. They do have some great pastries. I had a blueberry cheese danish, Jo had four chocolate timbits, otherwise known as doughnut holes."

Enjoy Canada.

Thanks,
Jo

Bag Blog said...

They do have Tim Horton's - in fact, I need some breakfast...

Jo Castillo said...

My mouth is watering...

Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)