Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Scavenger Hunt 51 Sketch and more

I am trying, and I emphasize trying, to minimize and manage my time on the computer. The post with photos from the excursion to Gila Cliff Dwellings will have to wait. Some of the other artist bloggers are setting a day for each interest or media .. I will think on that.

For the Scavenger Hunt #51, Number 12, Brick or Rock wall. I decided to just sketch both. It is a nice morning and I sat on my little stool in the shade and sketched across the street. The house is very old and being refurbished. They have put in some sort of metal supports where the wall is giving way. I wonder about that. They have been working on it since we have been here. The sketch is in the NY Sketchbook with a Micron 005 pen in about 30 minutes. I can never tell time when I am engrossed in something so time is an estimate.

I sketch with a pen most of the time and do not erase. As I have said before, I hope to "see" better and put down a sure stroke and leave it. This should really help in painting. When you put down too many brush strokes or pastel strokes and mix colors, the paint/color begins to mix and make gray or mud. Fewer strokes should make bright and fresher paintings. It is especially true in plein air when you have the time restraints of fleeting light and moving objects. For the most part, the practice is helping. I sketch faster and feel that my composition space and perspective are improving. Sometimes though, I just plow ahead and the results show it! I'm pleased with todays sketch.

It is interesting as well, that each artist has a different touch. I will mention a few of the regulars here. Will try to mention some of the others as we go along. The group changes as the artists find their niche on wetcanvas.com or go on to other things. Joan Tavolott uses few lines and adds color to finish her great sketches. Paul Astle (PABS) sketches with few firm lines, very, very neat and tidy, but very expressive. EP (eyepaint) is new to sketching and is loose and carefree in her sketches, trying many different media. Jeanne Grant is really improving in her sketching and drawing. Very dedicated and the work is paying off. It is inspiring and fun to "meet" these artists and gain information and proficiency along the way.

I have sketched and doodled for years, but never pushing myself to improve. I met Sue Modrak in 1994 or 1995 at a six day workshop in Montana presented by Jack Hines and Jessica Zemsky. (This is just a blurb about them, you can Google them to see what great artists and teachers) They, as instructors, emphasized the importance of sketching. They had a life form drawing session every day. Sue has given me a new sketchbook every time we get together, encouraging me to get with it. :) She sketches all the time, waiting in line anywhere or if she sees something she likes in a store. She always sketches it instead of taking a photo. I am amazed at her accuracy and fluency in her sketches. This post shows Sue last summer and one of her sketches.

And here we are with the obligatory glass of wine after a day out of plein air. You see we went to the Gila Cliff Dwellings so a couple of photos there on that post above. Then last summer, I discovered the Scavenger Hunts and they have added an extra 'push' to keep me sketching.

Sue will be with us again in September. We will be in Las Cruces then. Our get together is always a blur of sketching, painting, gallery hopping and fun. We try to fit a years worth of art into about 5 days. We start early in the morning and go until dark! Hope you will join us here.

By the way, this has taken my computer time for the day, Ha.

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (974) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1795) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)