Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, July 20, 2007

Certificate of Authenticity and Yapa

Here is another blog that I read regularly. Paul Dorrell's Blog. He is a gallery owner and art consultant in Kansas City. He has worked his way up, down and up again and gives great advice about the business side of art. Today his blog is about giving a certificate of authenticity.

I have been doing this for years. At first I felt I was being pretentious, only "real" artists did that, but I started doing it anyway. I have tried to be as professional as I can with the business side of my art. I do think the certificate is a validation of my work and appreciated by the people that buy and enjoy my work.

In Bastrop, when we started the gallery, I made the gallery receipts to read like a certificate of authenticity. It was the best way to have a certificate available for so many different artists and volunteer workers. I still always sent a personal thank you and a certificate to purchasers of my paintings.


Achocalla, Landscape in Bolivia
16 x 20 inches, Oil on canvas
More Bolivian paintings

In Bolivia, when we were there, whenever I would buy something in a market or store, I was usually given a "yapa", a little bonus or incentive to buy. I may have been a tomato when I bought lettuce, or a little doll if I bought a sweater. So, I always send a yapa - note cards, a print, etc. - with my thank you and certificate of authenticity Can't hurt, can it?

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)