Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Light on Dark


Scavenger hunt #7 has started, a few new rules. Here is my number 1, light on dark of something I love. I did the cactus in the yard and some rocks - I love the southwest landscape. They are on Daler-Rowney dark grey pastel paper in a pad with glassine or some sort of paper between each sheet. I did tear it out though about 9 x 12 paper, but cropped down to about 7 x 9. Used a DerWent pastel pencil in a very light orange.

My friend, Sue - from Michigan, is here and she sketched 3 while I did one. She is the friend that always buys me sketchbooks and has encouraged me to sketch. We will have a 4 day art marathon. Late start today because of the rain. Tomorrow we are off to the Gila Cliff Dwellings so you may see some of that. I will try to post one of her sketches, I will have to sneak a photo! Ha. She is very good, does it allllll the time.

We met at a Jack Hines/Jessica Zemsky workshop in Montana about 11 years ago and have been art buddies ever since. Her husband and mine got along great, so it was a good match up. She encouraged me to go to the IAPS convention in Albuquerque in 1999, I think, and I have been hooked on pastels ever since. This is a special week for art.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

'Love the sketch. It does not look at all orange, though! Give my regards to Sue.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna,
Funny thing color, huh? When you paint something 'white' you hardly ever use white. :) A pale green highlight on a red apple looks super white because it is a complimentary color (opposite on a color wheel). So the orange looks pretty white, huh? Sue wants me to finish the sketch as a painting by pushing the dark in the shadows, so may do that. I put some more dark on and it makes it look more like a painting, so will see how it goes. I liked the sketch, too.
Mom


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)