Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, January 21, 2011

Holy Guacamole! - Pastel painting Challenge 1

I had a great time at the gallery today.  There were quite a few people downtown.  It was pretty cold, but the sun was out.  The high school photography class came in.  It is always fun to visit with the students.

I took on the challenge on Norma Wilson's blog.  We were to paint, Delicious.  Norma painted a cosmopolitan .. a drink not the magazine.  Linda Popple has taken up the challenge as well.

I imagined sweets from the bakery across the street, but I can't eat most of them.  Then I thought of chocolate.  I did have some chocolates in the candy jar.  But I decided on guacamole.

I went across to Anita's and asked the cashier for some guacamole to paint.  She looked at me in a questioning manner.  And, "Do you have a red plate?"  I also wanted it on a lettuce leaf to make it easier to paint, but they didn't have any.  So I came back to the gallery with guacamole on chopped lettuce in a styrofoam box.  I had some red plastic plates so adapted for the painting.  I didn't have dramatic lighting, so I just painted as it was.

I had a hard time trying to hurry so that I could eat the model.  I mentioned that with the grapes the other day, right?

So here you go, challenge number 1.  We shall see how many I get done!  I think I read that 200 is the goal.  Hmmmmmm.

Holy Guacamole!, Pastel on Pastelbord,  7 x 5 inches
Here was the model.  It was yummy!



This painting will be one of Jo's Notions, go here to buy or to look at other Notions.  $50, including shipping.  Sales tax applies to Texas purchasers.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Your version is much yummier, creamier and the chips look crunchier! Well done Jo! I love how you took the initiative and asked for the proper plating for the green lettuce and guac!

hmuxo said...

You did a great job Jo...The color of the plate is great ..even the shine looks beautiful.

Teresa said...

Looks great Jo! I painted a Dove chocolate a couple of days ago... that "model" didn't last long :-)

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

What a fun challenge Jo, ond then you can eat the model.. Yippee!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Sheila, thank you. I was wishing I had one of my "Texas" bowls at the gallery. Maybe next time.

hmuxo, thanks. I looked at your blog and saw that you ate a model also! (apples) I do love painting apples, too.

Teresa, I haven't gone to check your chocolate yet. That was my first choice for delicious, but decided to try something I had not thought of painting before. Sketching odd things has helped so thought it might in painting, too. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Rae, yes. Eating is too much fun for me. I need to paint water!!

Unknown said...

Hi Jo...so excited to have company doing the 200 challenges. I love your pastel of the guacamole. Looks very delicious!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Norma. I may take a while to do all 200. I'll have to go back and do the first ones. :) It is a good challenge.

Bag Blog said...

That does look yummy. I would never have been able to not eat my model before I finished the painting. I paint pretty fast, but I eat fast too.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, hi there! There wasn't much guacamole for the big plate, so I could not dig in or I wouldn't have had any on there. Ha. When I painted the grapes I had to put a plastic glass upside down under the ones I had left so they would come up to the top of the bowl. Todays challenge is fruit as I recall, but we are going to San Marcos, so I will have to paint tomorrow if the apples and pear are still there!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (104) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (982) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (14) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)