Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Sketching and Pastel Bluebonnets

It was pretty slow at the ArtSpace Gallery today, so I painted again.  I guess the tourist season here is over until ski season starts.  There was no car traffic as I went and came back to the condo.

I was going to work on the ski run painting I had started, but was not excited about that so decided to play on some black Canson paper.  Black really makes color pop.  I played with this from memory for a couple of hours. It is more of a sketch than a painting.   I wonder if I am homesick? Bluebonnets came to mind.  :)

The first photo shows the paper pad and how the flowers look on the black and the second has them cropped to what might fit in an 8 x 10 frame.

Bluebonnets untrimmed.
Bluebonnets trimmed.
I sketched yesterday after Mary and Ruth left and we sort of wound down from the weekend.  It was a little windy and we did not leave the condo except for Gene to go get his newspaper.  Lazy bums!

These sketches are for Scavenger Hunt 191 in my mid sized sketchbook with a Micron 005 pen, freehand, taking about 10 - 15 minutes each.

Number 1, rough - the bark on a pine tree by the deck.  Number 2, smooth - a hard dark green plastic table on the porch.  Doesn't look too smooth with my hatching. 

Number 3, shiny - the dark windows with reflections on an SUV down below the deck.  Number 4, curved - a metal kokapeli sculpture on the wall.  Number 5, knotted and tied - my shoe string.

Tomorrow we plan to golf and go to Taos to stock up on supplies for our last week here in Angel Fire.

10 comments:

wabbitt said...

Gorgeous bluebonnets. Love them against the orange b/g.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi there wabbitt. Thank you so much. It is always fun to paint what you like. Nice to see you!

Joanna said...

Love the bluebonnets. Bet you knew I would! :)

Bag Blog said...

I saw an artist who used black paper as if it were part of the shade. So I tried a painting like it. I will see if I can locate it to show you sometime. Black paper does pop a picture like nothing else.

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Black paper is possibly the most difficult to work on Jo, I used to demo it many years ago, not an easy tone to work other shades into. Good job on this, they look very alive.
Rae

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Joanna! It was fun to play for a while. I don't take the time to do that like I should. It is good for "real" painting.

Bag Blog, I would like to see that. Kelly Borsheim did a neat one recently http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com/2010/08/palazzo-vecchio-florence-italy.html

Thanks, Rae. It is good to try something different. The rethinking reminds me of what to do to get certain effects. It was fun.

Teresa said...

Your bluebonnets are beautiful, Jo.... you obviously have a good memory :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you, Teresa. I wish my short term memory was better. Tee hee.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

The bluebonnets look wonderful - I really like the mix of colors in the background - it sets everything off so well!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Regina. I am going to experiment with black paper more. It is always a challenge -- and fun to work with.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)