Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, February 09, 2009

Green Eats - Apples, Grapes, Acrylic Notion and Workshop Sort Of

I worked with acrylics again the other afternoon. I did not use the Golden Open acrylics in combination with the regular acrylics. I used regular acrylics. The Golden Open are a different medium and need their own study. I will work with them, but I wanted to do something familiar to have a positive outcome after the wipe off with the little seascape. There were several artists that had problems last week as I mentioned and so I was in need of painting something I was very familiar with. I didn't know that was my motive for painting apples until I read Carol Marine's post. You might remember, I sketched some apples this week, too.

Green Eats, apples and grapes is 5 x 7 inches, acrylic on canvas board. The color in this is not very good as it was taken in artificial light. I will try to get a sunny day photo tomorrow to post on my web page. This gives you an idea that I was getting back in the swing of painting.

I also did a bit of blog reading and looking around to get inspired. I ran across a wonderful artist posting in the Plein Air Forum on wetcanvas.com, Marc Dalessio and read an interesting post on his blog. On the blog he mentions getting ready for a painting excursion to Bagan, Myanmar, with some fellow plein air artists. On his web page you will see some wonderful paintings and see that Marc is from Los Angeles and is working in Europe.

Our regular routine gets a little stagnant and ideas are hard to come by. It would be wonderful if we could all take a week or month off and go to someplace exciting and just paint for a month. For most of us, that is not possible. I suggest, though, that you plan a day, a few days, or some time to paint with a buddy. It is great and rejuvenating. If you are with like minded painters, you learn, teach, and critique a little.

Every year since about 1995 when I met Sue Modrak at a workshop in Montana, we have tried to get together for a few days. Our first major art get together was at the International Association of Pastel Societies Convention in Albuquerque in 1999. Since then we have gone to Michigan to Sue's or she has visited us here in Bastrop or New Mexico. It is usually for five days. We do art non stop, well almost, for 5 days. We get in some plein air, visit art galleries, museums, classes, whatever we can to immerse ourselves in art. It is less expensive than a workshop and evenings are free for visiting, eating and reminiscing.

This year Sue will come here in a couple of weeks. We will have the workshop day with Rebecca Neef that I mentioned, paint with Regina Burchett that day and another at Regina's new studio and maybe get to San Antonio. At any rate we will spread some pastel dust, sketch, paint with whatever medium we have on hand and have a good time. We will be exhausted, but happy.

If you can't travel any distance, just call and meet a fellow artist at a park for a few hours of plein air painting or invite a friend to your studio and set up and paint a still life. This is one of the things Regina and I have done over the years here as often as we have been able to. It is like a one day workshop. You can really enjoy the time and it is time well spent. Over your cup of coffee you can dream of sitting on a beach in the Pacific. Have fun.

12 comments:

Bag Blog said...

The apples are great. I think setting them on the colorful serape was just the thing.

You mention "like minded painters" in your post. I used to paint with several ladies who were more like minded and the time was well spent. I like my new painter buddies, but I'm not sure about the "like minded part." It is just something that I have noticed and been mulling over, and it is funny that you mentioned it.

Teresa said...

Great ideas to motivate and rejuvenate. Love your apple/grape painting!

Rose Welty said...

"Green Eats" look yummy Jo.

I am so jealous of your art week! I'll have to keep thinking about it and try and come up with something I can do...it'll never be a week, but maybe I can get an hour in with somebody.

I hope it is a great week of refreshment and fun for everyone.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I thought of your painting days when I was writing and should have mentioned that. Hope the new bunch works out.

Teresa, this internet buddy helps too, but takes away from painting! Thanks.

Rose, thank you. You will get some time one day! The special projects on wc or like your portrait group have some interaction which is good, too.

Joan said...

Your apples look so good against the red of the cloth!!! Nice job on this. I agree with you that it is great to get away to paint if possible, but that even just an "art day" with a friend helps stir up creativity. I will be taking a wc workshop the first week in March down in SC and I can't wait! My sister, Michelle, is joining me and I'm hoping to get in an "art day" with her before that.

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you, Joan, you are another I could have mentioned! I know you and Michelle always have a great time and get many sketches and paintings done. Have fun at the workshop.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Very cheerful painting, Jo, and very well done! I'm looking forward to our workshop and paint-together - it should be fun!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Regina. You are great to paint with, it inspires me! Should be great.

Barbara Pask said...

Very nice painting Jo, the green apples look ready to eat. Perfect color

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Barbara, thanks so much. Thanks for stopping by, too.

Unknown said...

Wow... you got though really faint striations Granny Smiths have on their skin that make them distinctively Granny Smiths!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Sheila. I'm going to post a new image with better color in a few minutes.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)