Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Small seascape and fishing guy home!

I painted a small seascape with pastels day before yesterday (I think). I worked on it and trying to put up a video on YouTube that is seems ages ago. Until I can get that to work I will put up a little WIP (work in progress) and tell you about the "wipe off " and more. Regina had some trouble painting on the weekend, too, and decided it was in the stars. Then Carol Marine had some difficulties as well, so it most definitely is or was the stars over Texas.


I started with a white Pastelbord and a very light sketch.



I put on some hard pastel, Nupastel, and then brushed it with water for an under painting.



I then worked around the canvas developing the rocks the most first so the water could splash over them.



I developed the water and waves.



Adding shadows would give the waves more volume.



This was the first finish. I thought the waves still lacked volume and everything was in diagonal rows. So I wiped it off. First I brushed the pastel with a paint brush, then wiped the board with a towel. I brushed it with water again to give me a new under painting.



These are the pastels I used on the first painting. I added a very light blue and pink that look white if you don't see them next to each other for the second painting.



I started putting on the rocks and water again and went through the steps above.



Seascape
Soft Pastel, 5 x 7 inches

This is the final finish.

The other story is fishing guy, Tom, made it home and posted today about his trip to Texas. You can see a photo of the three of us and see some other great photos on his post today. After he posted that, I had a comment from Robert V. Sobczak, a blogger friend of fishing guy. His blog is interesting and he has a great groundhog story, worth a look for a smile.

I have sketches to post and another painting from today but it is almost midnight. Hopefully I will get to that in the morning. Buenos noches.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you so much for posting your start , revise and then finish! I learn so much from these. Thanks again!

Bag Blog said...

When I click on the photo, I can see the second painting better than the first. I kept going back and forth to see the differences in the two paintings. I like both. The first one seems to be darker in the left foreground - I kind of like that.

Miki Willa said...

Thanks for posting your WIP photos. It is great to see your technique and the finished paintings. I liked the first one, but really think you hit the mark with the second. Congratulations on another wonderful seascape.

Jo Castillo said...

Sheila, thanks. I think we are sometimes afraid to start over, hope this helps.

Bag Blog, The photos of the first are from the video so not straight on. I liked the rocks in the first. More spontaneous I think. Overall, I'm happier with the second. I haven't done many seascapes. I can't see any from here. Ha!

Miki, thank you so much. Are you packed and ready to go? Bet you get a lot out of that AZ trip.

Valerie Jones said...

It is nice to see how you work. The seascape is a beauty!

Teresa said...

Wonderful WIP, Jo! Thanks!

I like both paintings!

P.S. We've been happily mouse-free the last couple of nights! :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Teresa, hear the giggle? Thank you so much.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: What a neat look at the painting. I'm reading this all backwards so I get to enjoy them in reverse. I have been doing some testing in the hospital and will get results today. I'm glad you liked Rob's story.

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, thanks again. Hope you do well today. Take care....


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (973) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1794) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)