Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love Thanksgiving.  If you read back in my blog you will see how it has always been a special day. (If you put Thanksgiving in the search box at the top of the blog you will find more stories.)   On top of the good times now Jennie's birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving.  Her day is November 24, Happy Birthday, Jennie, a little ahead of time.

I thought I would be a little early and give you a couple of dressing recipes. The first is the traditional one that my mother made. I love it with plain bread, but am now gluten free so make dressing with homemade cornbread with no wheat flour so it is very crumbly or crummy. Which is it?? The second is a great recipe I used to use for company when not everyone likes dressing and most folks seem to like it. Not vegetarian, though.

I have a great pecan pie that is made with graham crackers and egg whites so is very light.  I will look for that for you.  :)

Sage Dressing a la Grandma Alice

*3 cups cubed day old bread or a little older so it isn’t so soft (In the old days, day old bread was pretty dry!)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery with leaves

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Cook onion and celery in the butter until soft (don’t brown). Let it cool while you toss the bread with the seasonings.

Mix the egg and milk and add to the onion mixture. Toss this lightly with the bread and bake in greased caserole pan  about 30-40 minutes. If it starts to brown too much, cover with a lid or foil. You can bake at 325 or 350, whatever you are using for the turkey. If there is some fat/juice from the turkey you can drizzle/baste a little of that over the dressing for flavor.  If you stuff it in the turkey, stuff lightly and cook the extra in a pan.

(**Note this is half recipe for 2-4 people, double ingredients for turkey for 6 or more people)


If you don’t want to buy poultry seasoning you could get a can of chicken broth and use some of that with the milk .. 1/4 cup each, and then use the rest of the broth to make gravy. I use some of the broth from cooking the giblets if I bake a turkey.

*You can also use corn bread. I prefer regular bread or half and half. Now I use my own cornbread with no gluten. Ha.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to make this one in South America when we had company, too.

Sausage and Mushroom Dressing

1/2 cup butter
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
1/2 pound sausage
6 cups bread
1 cup chopped onions
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves

Melt butter, cook onion and garlic until soft. Remove from pan and brown the sausage for about three minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until the meat loses red color.

Add onion mixture, salt, pepper and thyme. Gently mix into the bread and parsley. Baste with drippings while cooking.

Takes 30 - 40 minutes to bake. Makes about 6 cups, for 6 - 8 people.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

(This is my third post today, so scroll on down!)

6 comments:

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

Hi Jo,
I like the sound of this dressing recipe. This year my daughter has that honor.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Our daughter from Texas arrives tonight.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Peggy, I do think you will like either one. Happy Thanksgiving!

Joan said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Looks like great recipes. I only had to make a pecan pie. "We are up visiting my sister in Maine. Enjoy!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, I'm not cooking either. :) Nice. I did make tortilla soup and flour tortillas yesterday. Have a great Thanksgiving day.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Our Thanksgiving out went well, and NO work, but I'm looking forward to my mother's recipe for cornbread sage dressing. That's my favorite part of the meal. Thanks for posting your recipes!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Regina, yes, I like dressing, too. It is a little different having cornbread with no bread or gluten, but the taste is much the same. :) See you soon!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (971) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1791) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)