Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Non Toxic Fix for Pastels

I posted way back when about fixing pastels. Well, really about fixing pastels to look like an oil painting and frame without glass.


Old Pets
Fixed Soft Pastel
9 x 12 inches

I had a couple of comments asking more about the technique. There isn't much more to tell. The boots took about 30 layers. You just put on the pastel, spray with the PVA/water mixture, let dry and continue. You can use a hair dryer to speed up the drying. On canvas, at the end, the painting looks like an oil painting. It does not look like a regular pastel painting.

As mentioned, I saw the technique at the International Association of Pastel Societies, IAPS, Convention. Bill Creevy also put some watercolor on and let it run for texture. His style is much looser than mine. His book is outstanding with lots of info. He also used acrylic medium with pastel.

His mixture for this demo was 1 teaspoon PVA Size to a cup of water, you could probably use more but would have to experiment with that. It might get shiny or be more translucent. I never tried adding more. I did try the technique once more on a still life of fruit for a demo, but never finished it. I am much too impatient as you know.

For newer ideas on fixing pastels there is a new item, Spectrafix. It sounds wonderful. There is a very good discussion on wetcanvas.com among artists that have been trying it out. Most comments are very positive and enthusiastic for using the new non toxic fixative. You do not have to join wetcanvas to read the articles, only to comment or start a thread of conversation. WetCanvas is free and has a world of information on every art subject you can think of. You can set up your profile to have e-mails with the replies to your questions or just a reminder to look at the thread. I have learned so much there ... and met so many wonderful artists.

Let me know if you try these ideas, I do like sharing info and learning about new products. Spectrafix is added to my wish list.

10 comments:

Teresa said...

I love your boots and/or dancing themed paintings. Something about them that really appeals to me. This is a gorgeous painting.

30 layers? Patient soul, you are!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Teresa. You made me laugh! I am so patient I haven't finished another. That is why I don't do colored pencils. I know you all say it is soothing .. not for me. Heh, heh.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

It will be interesting to see more about Spectrafix - I'm not sure I'd have the patience to try it. Your boots looks great - 30 coats? Definitely took some patience.

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, one of the artists in the wetcanvas thread says that museums always fix a pastel before they put it up so she is fixing her own. She says she will be more careful and can touch it up, whereas the museum wouldn't. :) I'm not worried about museums.

Jan said...

The SpectraFix is on my wish list also although I've been experimenting with the pva. The information from you (I thank you!) and several other artists has been invaluable in my quest for glassless framing for pastels. Like you, I'm much to impatient for either 30 layers for pastels or colored pencils! Just wish we could find a method for glassless framing where a pastel will still look like a pastel!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Jan, Nicole Caulfield(on my blogroll) does colored pencil so quickly. She uses Pastelbord and other pastel surfaces and sprays them and frames them. I did one I really liked. The rough surface is much faster than paper. Maybe I should do another. Hmmm. Thanks for stopping in, hadn't seen you for a while.

Jan said...

I'm always amazed at how quickly Nicole can complete a painting in cp. I think she usually uses a NeoColor underpainting and I'm sure that helps.

I use the PastelBord also for both pastel that I want to frame without glass and also any cp I get brave enough to tackle!

Hope you do another one soon - I'll be looking forward to it!

Jo Castillo said...

Jan, thanks. I certainly need to paint something.

Michael Gillespie said...

I’m doubtful that reputable museums fix pastel paintings, after all it changes the appearance of the art.

Jo Castillo said...

Michael, thanks for writing. I doubt that museums fix pastels as well, that would change everything. Maybe to make a small repair as in restoration and then pastel over it. Your pastels are just lovely. I've never done another of these, just takes too long.....


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)