Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Homestead - Pastel Painting WIP

I worked on the pastel painting again. (scroll down to see yesterdays image or click here to open in a new window) I will post the better photo I took today of the start. I only took one other photo before I got to the point for the painting to sit a while and simmer to see if it is finished.

Again, this is the beginning. I put pastel on the used Pastelbord and brushed it with water. On a large painting this is helpful to save pastels.

Usually I work all over a painting, but on this one, I fell back on the way I do oil paintings. In oil painting I start with the sky and work forward. I worked at filling in the background and middle ground.

This is the simmering point. I'm not sure I want so much detail in the foreground grass. It probably takes away from the houses. The painting is simmering until I decide.

I also looked at it in black and white. Again you see the grass is the lightest part and probably shouldn't be that way. Hmmmm.

I am pleased, over all, with the theme and colors. I will see how I feel tomorrow.

We golfed again this morning and I took another photo of crepe myrtles.


These are near the tee box on number eight hole and are groomed by the groundskeepers. I imagine they get more water than the ones I photographed yesterday. The blooms are thicker.

Here is a blog I follow because I love food. I don't cook much anymore, so haven't tried the recipes. The recipes are presented with photos of the ingredients, the mixing and the finished products. All of the finished recipes just look beautiful and sound good. You will enjoy visiting the Crepes of Wrath. http://thecrepesofwrath.wordpress.com/

I think Joanna sent this to me and I sent it to Jennie as she is cooking more and trying new things.

11 comments:

Donna Crosby said...

Very nic Jo. Really good work. I like the way my eyes stay and wander around the painting.

"JeanneG" said...

Thanks for the link to the recipes. I don't like cooking much any more but sure would like to taste some of those. I wonder If I can go and stay at her house and eat for a month? Oh well I couldn't stand to have any more weight hang on. You did have to send it the day she posted double chunk chocolate muffins. Now I'm hungry for some. lol

Jo Castillo said...

Donna, thank you so much. I still think I will simplify the foreground. Should draw attention to the old houses.

Jeanne, boy I know what you mean. The sweets don't do much for me, I like the look of the Korean ribs in the crock pot!

Rose Welty said...

Jo, this is a lovely painting! I really like it.

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you so much, Rose! Later.....

Bag Blog said...

Wow, you did lots of work on the homestead painting, and it looks great. That hand sketch looks like some that I have done. Maybe I will try the foot next time.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. The Scavenger Hunts are good for getting me to sketch things I never would otherwise. If I don't do that I occasionally sketch a landscape...

Paula Ann Ford said...

What a gorgeous painting Jo! Loved seeing the WIP

Paula

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you Paula. I have changed it some .. I can't get the exact feel to it that I want. Sigh....

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: That is a beautiful landscape.

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, thank you so much. Still working on it. Almost done.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)