Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Elephant, Pastel Painting, Demo

You may have read here in my blog that this house we are renting in Silver City, New Mexico, has elephant knick-knacks everywhere. I decided to paint an elephant for the landlady. I found a great reference photo on wetcanvas.com by MonicaB. Many artists post photos to use as reference photos for painting on the site. Thanks, Monica. **Note , I heard from Monica Burnette, the photographer, she is also a painter, check out her web page. Nice work.

I printed out the photo and traced the outline of the elephant onto a piece of Pastelbord by Ampersand in the gray color. I traced it to save time and get the proportions right as I know zilch about elephants. I did not do an under painting as the board was already a color that would work well with the subject.

I then did a start with Nupastels to get an idea of color and feel of the elephant.



I developed it a little further, checking out the background and deciding how much detail I wanted there. The elephant has lots of "design" going on in its ears, so I thought a plainer diffused background would be good. I started to work with softer pastels in what ever brand. Color and value made the decision of which stick to use.

Then I got into the zone and forgot about taking more photos along the way. Sorry. When I paint in pastels I work all over the painting. What ever color I put on the main focal point, is included all over the painting.


I am pleased with this painting, I hope she likes it, too.

Taking a photo of this was difficult. The blue just jumps out and the original photo looks all blue purple and opposed to this corrected version with more reddish in it. This is pretty close on my monitor. I work on an iBook in the summer and I am sure the display is different from most desktop computers.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

The landlady's gonna love the painting. Cool.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks Joanna. It was fun to paint. I never would have painted an elephant for any other reason, I am sure! They have lots of wrinkles. Worse than me. :) Not pretty animals.

Mom


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1797) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)