Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

My father was born in 1900 and died in 1980. He was one of the last authentic cowboys, I think. He kept working and riding until early that year. He worked for someone else for minimum pay and board. He usually had his own horse and gear, but was a hired hand. His grandmother was Mexican and grandfather was German. He spoke Spanish, but no German. The family only spoke German and Spanish, but when World War I was in the makings, his father changed the spelling on the name from Knoblauch to Knoblock and said there would be no more German spoken in the family. His first paying job was a cook on a cattle drive at 18 years of age. He was always a good cook, oh the sourdough biscuits and steaks in a dutch oven! He was an electrician, mechanic, gardener, cook, gardener, fence builder, handy man, veterinarian, and horse shoer because as a cowboy, he had to do all those things and more. He had a great memory and could tell many stories. He drank too much and loved to party. He got rich and handsome when he drank. He would go to a dance and throw his hat in the door, said if it didn't come back, he was still welcome. He would go in and holler, "I didn't come to stay, I came to play." I'm not sure how my mother put up with him for 58 years or so. His paying jobs included cowboy, Justice of the Peace/Marshall, Water Commissioner, gas station owner and coal miner. Probably more that I didn't know about. He only spanked me once, for lying. He let us all do pretty much as we pleased as long as we respected everyone and did the right things. The five of us were pretty independent because of that. Both Dad and Mom were supportive of us. Everything we accomplished was great in their eyes. You can read more about them on my web page.


Here he is in 1976 at the Criswall ranch on OrpHan with Snip his cowdog. My mom put on the back of the photo, "Dutch, Orphan and Snip, Ready to go". Orphan was a very tall horse and he taught him to stretch out and lower his shoulders for mounting, a lazy mans way. :)


Here is a painting I did of them in 1978, still at the Criswall. One of my first oil paintings.


Another of my Dad and son, David, called Grandad's Boost. One of my first sales here in Bastrop. I still have to paint another for David!



This is Gene, my husband, doing his Father's Day thing a few years ago. He continues to cook and has a brisket going as we speak. The kids should be out in an hour and a half or so and we will eat and have a nice day. It is rainy, so no golf today, but tomorrow with Larry should work out! Joanna used to play with us, so we would go out on Father's Day. Jennie would put on her Walkman (pre iPod) and go with us, begrudgingly. :) Some good memories here.

Happy Father's Day to all of you dads!

6 comments:

Joanna said...

Hey! We should try to golf on Saturday or Sunday if the weather's okay. I can't remember the last time I played with y'all. I do know it was the last time I golfed since I've only ever golfed with you!

Leslie Hawes said...

Gene! Where's my brisket? Bring me some, please!
That is the perfect picture of Gene.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, just say the word! Has to be pretty early in this heat!
Mom

Jo Castillo said...

Leslie, Gene says he will fix you a brisket. How about in New Mexico this summer?
Jo

Regina said...

Cool to read this tonight before Father’s Day. Hope Gene has a good day tomorrow!

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, thanks. You went back in history a bit. :-)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)