Exhibits

Gallery: Art Connections Gallery 123 N. Main Street on the Square in La Grange, Texas.
979-206-2222 http://artconnectionsgallerybastrop.com/


See additional work on my website

Monday, July 19, 2010

Sketching with Ink and Watercolor and Photos

Gene rode his bike yesterday, so I went to the Vietnam Memorial nearby. It was so beautiful. I sat in the shade and sketched for a while. I didn't finish taking photos as it started to lightening and raining so I hurried off to rescue Gene. He rode 18 miles before he called me. Wet is not bad, but lightening is not good.

There were a group of vets at the memorial. They were having a reunion and were discussing where they sat in the helicopter and who was missing from their group, etc. They had been in the Hamburger Hill Battle. It was nice to see them together. They started their reunions in Washington, DC, at The Wall, and have been meeting annually around the country at different memorial sites. They lost 42 men from their group in the 15 months they were in Vietnam.

I sketched on a watercolor pad with a Micron 05 pen and added some color with watercolor pencils. I don't often do watercolor and was pleased with the results. I did not finish the aspen trees and flowers because of the rain. Maybe I will add color when I have a few minutes.

Helicopter, Huey II, was sitting there, complete inside, not hollowed out like some I've seen. The flags were off behind the chopper, in the sketch it looks a little like the chopper if flying, eh?


The day was beautiful and the garden there is well kept. They have a nice chapel. I will get some more photos on another day.


Photos of the flags and helicopter.

A llama ranch?

A closer view of the llamas.



We put some hummingbird feed in the feeder and we tempted the first visitors. It was very late in the evening, I was surprised they were still flying around.

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

You are making me homesick.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Bag Blog, is it the photos or the ranting??

Joanna said...

Nice blog and photos today, Mom.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Joanna, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. (Link on sidebar) "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels